Been here a long time and finally posting! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Been here a long time and finally posting!

Once apon a time, I test drove this lil' explorer at 10 pm... I was in no mood for test driving cars as I just got off work, but I needed a vehicle asap as I blew my camaro up..... anyway, had this 98 sport about 2 weeks and it looked like this:

shinytruck1.jpg

Now, I am never satisfied with with what I have no matter how great it is. So I wanted to lift that lil sport and get it offroad, I went to many shops and talked to alot of people and basiclly got "if you lift that thing, your gonna flip it and kill yourself" Thats what got me motivated to start building my truck. In June of '01 I discovered this site and what body lift to buy, so I got myself a 3" PA body lift, some Cooper STT 33" tires, and alot of beer, the next day, I had a lifted truck. Not long after, I went to 35" STT's and the beast was starting to take form:

thebeast.jpg

Of course with some good sound:

system.jpg

I was quite happy with that for some time, altho in early '02 I got the itch to go bigger.... I talked to one of the guys that I talked to about the body lift, when I mentioned a solid axle, he said "you've got to be nuts" little did he know, I am nuts. I just couldnt bring myself to cutting up my frame and gettin into all that without cause, so.... on Oct 12th '02 my cause arrived:

whoops.jpg

Yes that is only a broken knuckle, a relitivly easy fix and not expencive at all.... well 2 days later I was cuttin everything... and gettin parts together for the solid axle. In Feb '03 this is what came out of my garage:

final1.jpg

OK, now on to the specs:

Front suspension:

Leaf sprung Dana 44 - 4:10 gears - locked - custom drive shaft - 40" up/down travel

Rear suspension:

Stock 8.8 - 4:10 gears - locked - SOA - 45" up/down travel

Drivetrain

Engine: stock except intake
T-case: Ranger manual shift
Tranny:5R55

Everything else:

Kenwood system
JL Audio subs
Polk audio speakers
7" TV
PS2 DVD
Strobes
Neons
High power lighting
Custom floor shifter for manual t-case
Snorkle
Cant remember the rest

I built the SAS from the ground up, one of the first on a second gen Explorer, it has been crash tested (Garden State Parkway, 50mph into a concrete center divider) and drove 2 hrs home ... didnt even get a scratch from the hit. I has be severly tested offroad (wheelin 3-4 times a week... Paragon is my backyard)
Only things that break is stock stuff, t-case, front axle shafts.... hubs. but the SAS is holding strong... oh yeah... forgot to mention.... I built and beat this truck being legally blind (20/200 left eye, 20/400 right)

Anyway, more pics:

final.jpg

wompum1.jpg

truck2.jpg

truck1.jpg

wompum3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why did you remove the roof basket?

im thinking feature truck ;) this whole thread is almost exactly hpw rick lays out the feature truck post :)

One word---------Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttt.

Great write up. The truck looks better without the roof rack. Congrats.

1st hand carnage to the Skunk can be fun to look at.. Blow any outer axle shafts recently?

no shafts as of yesterday, the roof rack is gone cause it got ripped off by a tree.... yes a tree... a standing tree, dont ask.

Thanx for the compiments... Ive put alot into that truck and keep putting more in... and more .... and more.... etc., etc. but oh yeah... forgot to add the donut video.... Donut Video Click Here

More pics and vids located Here

lizardtrac said:
The roof rack is gone cause it got ripped off by a tree.... yes a tree... a standing tree, dont ask.

LOL :D. At least you had one, I've got to be one of the few people on the forum that has an Explorer with no roof rack. My Sport has a sun roof though and that makes me happy.

Nice writeup on your rig Chris, you deserve to have the next Featured Truck

You left your shop towel on the top of your truck.

LOVE IT abasolutly KICK ASS!

Thanx for being sick and crazy! ;)

HaHaHa... shop towel.... thats not a shop towel, that my paragon flag, if you look closely, its attached to my cb antenna, I tuck it in the luggage rack rail so it dont get caught in my garage door. as for the sick and crazy part... HELL YEAH!!!!!

I wonder if the NJ turnpike authority have a video of your truck bouncing off the jersey walls at the toll facility? I would love to see that on video again.. Suprisingly you only scuffed a tire..

That would be sick... BTW... thats the parkway .. they dont do video, they only do still shots... but it still would be sick to see my truck up on 2 wheels as a still shot

Ya know, I remember when it looked like the first pix......and "someone" getting po'd when he wasted an exhaust pipe in the rockswamp..... :rolleyes:

actually that was b4 that pic... way b4.. it was my first time at paragon and I was only on 33's with everything stock with a 3" body life... ahhh.. those were the days.

Great Job! Aren't you glad you kept it?

Back