Before I chose i need some help - XLT or Limited - Read first | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Before I chose i need some help - XLT or Limited - Read first

roamingphantom

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 EX Limited, 302A
So i have narrowed it down to the following two Explorers

1. Limited 4X4 with the following options
Equipment 301A
Luxury Seating Package
Power fold 3rd row
Voice Act Navigation
Heated Steering wheel
Power Tilt/Tele Steering Wheel

Dual Panel Moonroof
20" Polished Alum wheels
BLIS Package

XPrice - $43,800 MSRP $45,510

OR

2. XLT

with the following
Eqipment 202A
Driver Connect package
My Ford Touch
Sync VActivated sys
rearview cam
Dual zone ac
comfort package

Power liftgate
dual panel moonroof
voice act navigation
20" Polished wheels
selectshift transmission.

XPrice $39,400 MSRP 42,490

I am trying to justify to myself the additional $4400 is worth spending to get the additional bells and whistles of the Limited. Have 0% APR and a marketing incentive, not sure how much as yet (750?)

a. What are your thoughts on the X prices
b. Which would you pick.
c. Should i push for lower outside of XPrice? How do i approach that angle.

Going in tomorrow for test drive and final decision...

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went with the Limited because there were some features available in the Limited that were not offered in the XLT. Remote Start, Sony audio, 60/40 split second row seats and push button start were a few of the things that pushed me to get the Limited over the XLT...

You don't say if the XLT is FWD or AWD which is an option. Having driven AWD/4WD vehicles for the past 10+ years I doubt that I'd ever go back to just FWD. Just my thoughts. I also assume it is the 3.5L engine you are considering and not the 2.0L Ecoboost.
I have the Limited and enjoy all the little 'extras' it offers. My favourite and most used is the Adaptive Cruise Control which isn't in either of your packages.
Good luck and happy shopping.

Peter

Although we got a sport, we were actually in the market for a limited. I prefer the looks (body matching grill and mirrors) over the xlt. The Sony sound and remote start is also well worth the additional price as well. Go for the Limited!!

Ok - they are all AWD and 3.5L, not going half way with that one..lol. So lets say I am gonna go Limited. My dealers, ive narrowed it down to 2, know I am looking at xpricing. How can I get them or what can I say to get them to go lower - I know that's a toughie.

Ok - they are all AWD and 3.5L, not going half way with that one..lol. So lets say I am gonna go Limited. My dealers, ive narrowed it down to 2, know I am looking at xpricing. How can I get them or what can I say to get them to go lower - I know that's a toughie.

Have the two dealers fight. That's the only way I can think? Although I've never used xpricing and know nothing about it.

I got mine for slightly less than X-Plan pricing. The biggest perk it seems with X-Plan is the limiting of the doc fee to $100. I negotiated for a few hours and ended up around $450 less than the X-Plan price after taxes, fees, etc.

I ordered my limited 301a, bliss, rear buckets with console 4wd about 4 weeks ago. Wanted the hid's and my wife wanted the wipers found on the 302 but didn't want to spend another 3k for that. She would walk for miles to avoid parallel parking with or without the assistance. Bucket seats are impossible to find on a lot. I am at 40,064 with the $1500 rebate. Started off with UBS price and then went after the 3% holdback. I also worked out free oil change tire rotation, inspections and engine warranty all for life. U will prob have this for a long time so don't drive around wishing you had gotten xyz. Dealers sometimes won't budge on price but the other service extras they may and add up in your favor. All I need now is a delivery date. Good luck.

I ordered my limited 301a, bliss, rear buckets with console 4wd about 4 weeks ago. Wanted the hid's and my wife wanted the wipers found on the 302 but didn't want to spend another 3k for that. She would walk for miles to avoid parallel parking with or without the assistance. Bucket seats are impossible to find on a lot. I am at 40,064 with the $1500 rebate. Started off with UBS price and then went after the 3% holdback. I also worked out free oil change tire rotation, inspections and engine warranty all for life. U will prob have this for a long time so don't drive around wishing you had gotten xyz. Dealers sometimes won't budge on price but the other service extras they may and add up in your favor. All I need now is a delivery date. Good luck.

wow, youre cutting into the dealer holdback and they still are giving you free maintenance and engine warranty for life??? are you buying it outright or trading something in? if youre trading, what are the details on your trade in?

wow, youre cutting into the dealer holdback and they still are giving you free maintenance and engine warranty for life??? are you buying it outright or trading something in? if youre trading, what are the details on your trade in?

I'm trading in an 02 MDX with 159k. They're offering me $6500. We were between this and a 13 Volvo XC90 which came with 5yr free mntce etc and they offered $6500 as well for the trade. The gm wanted to know what he had to do to get me to forget the Volvo, I have a friend that owns Volvo dealerships in va so I was getting a great deal. It wasn't the whole 3% but when he started crying about a family to feed etc i had enough. What he didn't know is my wife really wanted the ex and in the end it was going to be the ex. There r others out there who have gotten better deals so I don't feel bad.

I'm trading in an 02 MDX with 159k. They're offering me $6500. We were between this and a 13 Volvo XC90 which came with 5yr free mntce etc and they offered $6500 as well for the trade. The gm wanted to know what he had to do to get me to forget the Volvo, I have a friend that owns Volvo dealerships in va so I was getting a great deal. It wasn't the whole 3% but when he started crying about a family to feed etc i had enough. What he didn't know is my wife really wanted the ex and in the end it was going to be the ex. There r others out there who have gotten better deals so I don't feel bad.

In case you don't know the current XC90 design is well over 10 years old (released in 2002) without any really updates. If you really must have a Volvo then the next generation XC90 should be coming out late 2013 as a 2014 model. I would personally would not invest on such an old platform specially at a premium Volvo cost.

The whining that the Ford dealer provided was highly inappropriate and would have turned me off from doing business with them.

Regarding the original question Limited vs XLT, I would personally get the Limited as it adds quite a few niceties (remote starter, power folding mirrors, better stereo, heated steering wheel, etc).

In case you don't know the current XC90 design is well over 10 years old (released in 2002) without any really updates. If you really must have a Volvo then the next generation XC90 should be coming out late 2013 as a 2014 model. I would personally would not invest on such an old platform specially at a premium Volvo cost.

The whining that the Ford dealer provided was highly inappropriate and would have turned me off from doing business with them.

Regarding the original question Limited vs XLT, I would personally get the Limited as it adds quite a few niceties (remote starter, power folding mirrors, better stereo, heated steering wheel, etc).

Yeah I know it's old and the new my' doesn't come out til 14 as a 15 so it's even worse than you say. Way too long for my MDX to go. All irrelevant now since my Limited should be along in another 4 weeks I hope. As for the original question my brother in law has an '11 xlt and he wishes he had the limited. Never even thought about the sport and it seems more people on this forum have the sport than either the xlt or limited.

I think there are some big rebates going on..at least up here in MA. There are several dealers offering the 2013 limited ($47k sticker) for $39k. I bought my 2013 Limited ($48,900 sticker) back in April 2012 and I paid $40,500. No trade. that was their best number. You should be able to take it home for at least $7k-$8k below sticker.

I should have mentioned I just bought my F150 XLT ECOBOOST 4x4 from this same dealer. Bought for $13,500 below sticker. It's not a bait and switch. You can do better than the offer they presented to you.

Hi gang!

Just a reminder - a great resource for incentives and rebates is our Marketing Program Headquarters. Give them a call at 1-800-334-4375 and they'll fill you in on all the available offers in your area. If you're on Twitter, you can reach out to my colleagues @FordService; they can help you out as well.

Crystal

I wouldn't get the moonroof next time. Takes away headroom, use it very little, and it takes quite of bit of getting used to open & close.

(Went w/limited for reasons previously mentioned)

I bought the XLT, but it wasn't worth the money I spent. At least I didn't buy a limited and for extra $ !

So i have narrowed it down to the following two Explorers

1. Limited 4X4 with the following options
Equipment 301A
Luxury Seating Package
Power fold 3rd row
Voice Act Navigation
Heated Steering wheel
Power Tilt/Tele Steering Wheel

Dual Panel Moonroof
20" Polished Alum wheels
BLIS Package

XPrice - $43,800 MSRP $45,510

OR

2. XLT

with the following
Eqipment 202A
Driver Connect package
My Ford Touch
Sync VActivated sys
rearview cam
Dual zone ac
comfort package

Power liftgate
dual panel moonroof
voice act navigation
20" Polished wheels
selectshift transmission.

XPrice $39,400 MSRP 42,490

I am trying to justify to myself the additional $4400 is worth spending to get the additional bells and whistles of the Limited. Have 0% APR and a marketing incentive, not sure how much as yet (750?)

a. What are your thoughts on the X prices
b. Which would you pick.
c. Should i push for lower outside of XPrice? How do i approach that angle.

Going in tomorrow for test drive and final decision...

Thanks

I just signed the papers today for the Limited with the same packages that you need. However, mine had trailer tow package extra which I dint need. Paid 40999 + taxes. IMO, Ltd looks much cooler than XLT with some xtra gags for fun. I wld go for Ltd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't get the moonroof next time. Takes away headroom, use it very little, and it takes quite of bit of getting used to open & close.

(Went w/limited for reasons previously mentioned)
I agree that it does take away a little headroom. Unfortunately the neither the brochure or website specs say how much. The moonroof is similar to the one I had in the Highlander and the difference between a moonroof and no moonroof was 0.9 inches.
I'm 5'10" wear a ball cap and have no problems with headroom, even with the seat raised where I use it. I love the moonroof and it adds an open feeling to the interior. I haven't had any problems using the controls either. The shade is always in the retracted position and passengers love it. I wouldn't buy another vehicle with out a moonroof. The Ex is the 4th vehicle I've had with one and never had a problem.

Peter

Back