Behold the power of a Rotary Polisher - Trashed X Detail | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Behold the power of a Rotary Polisher - Trashed X Detail

Ok ...so the thread about the orbital buffer and the points raised got me to thinking I should post up a thread and some pics as I finally got to detail the Sport I bought 2 months ago.

First the warning ... DO NOT use a rotary polisher until you get a few panels to practice on. It is not a hard tool to learn how to use, but you can cause serious paint damage without some practice!!! Youtube has some videos you can watch to get a handle on technique ... Practice and reading about combo's of pad and polish will take you where you need to go ... oh and ask lots of questions!!!!!

Ok ... this truck was seriously trashed ... I figured I would wait at least a month in case any of the paint was fresh and the previous owner failed to say so ... I doubt that to be the case but who knows ... better to be safe!

To say this pig was a swirl bomb would be an understatement!!!!! If I had to guess, it had been years since it had been hand waxed and was obviously taken to the swirl omatic car scrath ... errrr car wash ... on a religious basis.

In addition to that, there was some seriously deep scratches, chips, and gouges in the paint. To top it off, the hood has some pretty nice beginnings of clear coat failure ... I mean come on ... it's the Desert of AZ ... wax is a MUST!!!

The hood will get a repaint in the near future, but until then I spent about an hour wet sanding and made it look about 90 percent ... so it'll keep me happy until I can re-shoot it!

Here are some before's of what I was dealing with being .... it's a Metalic paint so it was hard to get alot of the swirls to show ... if you look close to the flash points in the pics the swirls are obvious.

Nice Deep Fender Scratch

XSportDetail0014.jpg

Swirls and Scratches ... Next pic angle shows how deep the scratches are

XSportDetail0012.jpg

Yum ... Scratches

XSportDetail0013.jpg

Rear Quarter ... lots of chips scratches and swirls

XSportDetail0015.jpg

Nice Big Scratch and a real good shot of what the swirling all over was like ... see all them swirls at the flash point???

XSportDetail0011.jpg

XSportDetail0019.jpg

XSportDetail0016.jpg

XSportDetail0010.jpg

Passenger door was hosed up

XSportDetail0017.jpg

XSportDetail0018.jpg

Should be fun ....

Here was the process and products used to bring her back to greatness!!!

Foam Bath with Foam gun and Dawn wash
Meguiars Clay Bar with Quick Detailer as lube
Filled Chips with touch up and wetsanded with 1500 then 2000
Dawn wash with hot water 2 buckets and Microfiber Mitt

Dried with Microfibers and Blower
Taped off all Panel Edges, Trim, and Moulding
Covered Mirrors and running boards as well

Used My Dewalt Rotary Polisher with the following pads and product combinations:
First Pass = Lake Country Orange Pad with Meguiars # 105 Compound (1200-1500 rpm)
Second Pass = in tougher areas that needed it Meguiars Red pad and Meguiars #1 Medium Cut Compound (1500 + RPM Depending on defect)
Final Pass = Lake Country White Pad with Meguiars #205 Ultra Polish

A full Isopropyl alcohol wipe down to remove all compounding residue was performed as well.

I thought I had more zaino that I did so I ended up using a temporary coat of Meguiars NXT wax ... applied by hand and allowed to sit about 2 hours before taking it "off"

The Zaino will go on at the next washing ... pffft

As always ... High quality plush micro-fiber towels were used for everything

I have a few areas that need a little more attention but at 90 percent I am happy for now

Here are the afters ... some of the "spots" are the camera flash glare and and dust ... On the indoor shots you'll see reflections of my garage door and various items in the garage.

Bye Bye fender scratch ... Hood looks decent too!

XSportDetail0001.jpg

Door Cleaned up nice!! That is a reflections on top of the Moulding

XSportDetail0003.jpg

Kiss that quarter mess buhhhh bye! ... thats not a scratch in the top pic ... its a reflection of the garage door frame!

XSportDetail0002.jpg

XSportDetail0004.jpg

XSportDetail0005.jpg

Ahhhhh I love reflections ... notice how the reflection picks up the white specs from the pavement!!!!

XSportDetail0006.jpg

Full Shots ...

XSportDetail0007.jpg

XSportDetail0008.jpg

XSportDetail0009.jpg

Fire away with the questions!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yo, nice turn around! Thankfully, mine was in great condition when we bought it, but I did buy a porter cable and a Hitachi rotary for use on other vehicles.

WoW, Unreal man, awesome work, I would have guessed half of those scratches wouldnt come out. Totally impressed!

Great job. Meguiars for the win again! :thumbsup:

Man you did an excellent job.. any idea on time spent? Id assume 4-6 hours but man that was well well well worth it! I have a black one and I'm going to do exactly that.

Man you did an excellent job.. any idea on time spent? Id assume 4-6 hours but man that was well well well worth it! I have a black one and I'm going to do exactly that.

Thanks for all the comments .... yes Meguiars for the win ... the 105 and 205 are great compounds ... the Lake Country pads make a big differnce too ... the 205 goes on like warm butter and finsihed off real sweet!

Zaino is here ... but ahhh ... to find the time to start layering it up for that deep gloss shine!

I spent probably close to 15-18 hours total ... The wet sand and hood work was probably at least 3 hours maybe 4 ... then figure another 4 for clay and prep in between each stage ... it's ALL about the prep and keeping your surface contaminant free as you work.

Of Course this was spread out over 3 days ... well worth it tho

4 hours to clay bar!? What am I doin wrong It takes nowhere near that long.. then again I din't see any real change so.... and I'd like to get a rotary. Any suggestions??

4 hours to clay bar!? What am I doin wrong It takes nowhere near that long.. then again I din't see any real change so.... and I'd like to get a rotary. Any suggestions??

Haha ... I should have been more clear ... the 4 hours was for clay AND prep

I spent probably a good 1.5 hours claying ... it was pretty mucked up!

Prep includes:

washing the first time
washing after clay
washing to start each day
About an hour filling chips with touch up
Taping / masking trim and such
Isopropyl Alcohol Wipe Downs in between steps
Cleanup of any splatter prior to wax

As far as a rotary ... I have a the following:

Dewalt 849
Makita 9227
Harbor Freight el cheapo deluxe

I prefer the Dewalt and for tough jobs but the makita is a little easier to handle ... personal preference I suppose

The harbor freight is more of a back-up now... II bought this machine several years back when I decided to learn how to use a rotary.

Some people complain of issues with them breaking down and the speed control is a 1-2-3 type versus the 750-1000-1250-1500 ... type but it's easy to figure out.

For the 35 bucks I paid for it ... I have zero complaints it still works and I have lent it to several friends who have desired to learn

Damn .... I just checked harbor freight ... I guess a bad economy means better prices 30 Bucks for rotary

I use autodetailingsolutions.com for supplies such as pads backing plates and compounds ... Great prices and AWESOME service!!!

Back