• Register Today It's free!

Beilsteins!

RustyMacintosh

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4 Exploder
I got a good deal on a set of four for my 01 XLS. IT took me 2 hours to get one old shock off the right rear. Then when I saw the spare tire in the way of the other side....it went to my shop.

Am I glad I had the shocks replaced? The rears were so weak...the fronts hardly had any compression resistance. 4 new Beilsteins later.....NICE

Now to attempt the XLS with the grey KYB shocks. I bet I'll be back in the shop again.

If I don’t lift my X I’ll be buying bilsteins too

The OE that was on this XLS, were worn out. Pushing down on let's say the front shock once it was removed--it would sink 2 inches before any resistance if any. All four were swapped out. One major annoyance after installing new Goodyear Wranglers was the freeway squirm. The tires would grab the grooves in the road making the EX sometimes a joy to keep straight.

Once the Bilsteins were installed I took the EX out on the freeway. At 75mph I could take my hands off the wheel...it tracked straight with no squirm. PLUS--the ride, firm but not overly firm. I have to say, I was impressed. I see why folks love these German shocks. A bit pricy, but in my opine, worth it.

Back