Being towed

Craigerz

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 4x4
Now that I have the 4406 installed can I safely be towed on all 4 wheels with an AT or is that still a no go? I'm not needing a tow but was just curious now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What’s the T case out of? Early 2000s F150s aren’t supposed to be towed any distance with any of the wheels down.

Not sure I bought it from someone on here so it was already out. I know it has the VSS in the case if that helps.

I'd assume you'd be just fine towing it with the tcase in neutral. I'm not sure what setting you'd want the transmission in though (park or neutral?). I've never flat towed anything.

I don't plan on towing it, I'm just trying to figure out what I can and can't do just in case.

I thought there were no limits on flat towing in neutral.

I’ve always heard that with an automatic you have to drop the driveshaft. Now I went from AWD (which you can never tow) to selectable, does putting the tcase in neutral disconnect of from the transmission?

It should disconnect it from the transmission. I’m not sure if there’s proper “splash” lubrication everywhere in the t case with it in neutral. I doubt it’s a big deal for short distance, but it’s not recommended by Ford.

I am kind of curious about this as well, I have a late 90s 4406. I could always tow with rear wheels off the ground (locking hubs) but it would be cool to be able to 4 wheel tow too.

Back