belt cut thru lower AC hose

rikiewrx

Reaction score
City, State
Portland OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Hey everyone!
So after I did the 3 inch body lift awhile back I didnt tie back the lower AC line that runs next to the idler pulley. As you can guess the the belt cut thru the hose. So my question is can I cut the line and splice it back together with a piece of tubing and some hose clamps or something similar? Will a fix like this hold the pressure? Thanx for everyones help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, a patch type fix like that won't hold. You need to find a hose shop in town. Normally they specialize in hydraulic hoses. Some real a/c shops make their own hoses and that would work too.

~Mark

What about a hose from a junk yard? Could I disconnect one from a donor truck and install it on mine? Any special tools required?

I guess if the hose you found was in good shape and you flushed it you could try it. I am assuming you have the equipment to evacuate and charge your system. If so, its worth trying..

Also, only special "tools" is the normal a/c line disconnect tool.

~Mark

It's been cut for months now. Everything leeked out pretty quick. would that be considered evacuated? I have the stuff to recharge it already.

No, not the same thing..

Evacuating is when you pull a vacuum on the system which removes the moisture from the system and remove the "air" since it doesn't help cool. If the system has been open a while you replace the receiver/dryer too.

There is a good sticky thread here about converting to r-134. Your not "converting" but the part about evacuating and charging should help.

If your going to pay someone to to evacuate and charge the system I'd spend the extra money and get your hose fixed or get a new hose. I wouldn't throw money on a used hose. Also, The shop most likely won't give you any kind of warranty if they are just evacuating and charging the system.

~Mark

Ok.
So it would not be wise of me to replace the hose and fill the system with one of the conversion/refill kits youd buy from the auto parts store? To get the best cooling and longest life out my system I should just fork out the money and have someone do it right? I appriciate all your help. I believe you've saved me some money and alot of headache trying to jimmy rig it back to half ass working order lol.

Back