Belt not turning need to get home -READ ENTIRE THREAD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Belt not turning need to get home -READ ENTIRE THREAD

Leeroy38

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD
Hey guys on my way to work tonight my belt started squealing. I eased it to work and restarted to find that the belt was not moving consistently. I knew I needed the belt and pulleys done so that's next on the list. Just wondering will I be able to make it home. I have a 30 mile drive. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it were me.. I would try to baby it home. As long as it doesn't snap on you, you can hobble home. I had my serpentine belt snap on the highway on the way back from a 1100 mile trip right as I was entering the city, I lost power steering, alternator and water pump with the 5.0. I was able to make it home which I was within 15 miles without losing headlights or overheating.

Alright I'm bout to set off pray for me lol

Belt popped and engine started smoking and coolant is everywhere. What's the repair gonna be?

You should not have tried to drive home. You probably have a pulley bearing that overheated, locked up an broke the belt. Was it you that was complaining about a squealing belt recently after replacing a t-stat? W/out the belt you've now either overheated your engine and/or taken out your radiator with the broken belt. Check the radiator (in front of the fan) for physical damage. If you didn't damage the radiator then you overheated the engine, which can be fatal (blown head gasket). Once the belt is gone the engine will overheat almost immediately.

About all you can do now is find and replacing the offending pulley (probably an idler or tensioner pulley, but don't rule out the alternator, A/C compressor and P/S steering pump). If the radiator was damaged it will need to be replaced. If the radiator is okay, replace the lost coolant and see if the engine will still run normally. You should also replace the t-stat because (even though you just had it replaced IIRC) when the engine overheats the t-stat is often damaged. Good luck.

BTW, I don't see how anyone could have driven 15 miles on on an already hot engine w/out a serpentine belt and therefore w/out water pump spinning. Even driving 1 mile would be enough to do damage.

BTW, I don't see how anyone could have driven 15 miles on on an already hot engine w/out a serpentine belt and therefore with water pump spinning. Even driving 1 mile would be enough to do damage.

I double checked the distance I drove in my situation and yeah it was between 12-15 miles. I lost more battery power then coming close to overheating. Never went over half a gauge.

Get AAA. Pretty much mandatory if you're going to use a 20 year old truck as a daily driver.

shoulda pulled the belt. We did that on a 01 with a 4.0l in it. 200kms highway driving and the wind was enough to keep the fan spinning the water pump. Just couldn't run the radio.

You took some of the WORST advice I've EVER seen given on this forum. Not even hindsight. If you continued to drive until the engine stopped you likely did serious damage. Agree with everything koda said, and battery power was the least of your problems. Good luck. Seriously, you're going to need it.

shoulda pulled the belt. We did that on a 01 with a 4.0l in it. 200kms highway driving and the wind was enough to keep the fan spinning the water pump. Just couldn't run the radio.

This. That's what got me home.

Those belts can do serious damage if they come apart and are still rotating. Hopefully it just took out a hose and/or overheated. Good luck.

That was some awful advice, when your belt breaks, you need to stop, then, not later. Good luck, maybe it's just something simple like it hit a hose

Well finally got the courage to get under the hood. Replaced the idler pulleys and tensioner. Gonna need a new radiator. The bottom idler pulley was bad which caused the problems. I have a new alternator to throw in also. Live and you learn. Also Autozone wasn't to helpful js

The idlers are a known defect. PLEASE change them out on your older trucks.

The idlers are a known defect. PLEASE change them out on your older trucks.
They were original parts too so I know whoever had it before me didn't do it. Same with the spark plugs and wires I just replaced. Just mad cause the belt was next on the list. Oh well

If you escape this ordeal with nothing more than having to replace the radiator, idler pulley and belt...consider yourself lucky. Could have been much worse...and, way more expensive to repair. As you say...live and learn.

If you escape this ordeal with nothing more than having to replace the radiator, idler pulley and belt...consider yourself lucky. Could have been much worse...and, way more expensive to repair. As you say...live and learn.
Yea hopefully that's it. I'm going to do the thermo and some snow tires on and use it as a beater

Be advised that, if you're putting on snow tires, that all four tires need to be the same size/outside diameter/tread depth or you'll eventually cause mechanical damage inside the transfer case.

Be advised that, if you're putting on snow tires, that all four tires need to be the same size/outside diameter/tread depth or you'll eventually cause mechanical damage inside the transfer case.
Figured tires are dry rotted anyway

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well replaced the radiator, water pump & thermo today. Seems to be running good no overheating. Something strange though at low speed turns I get shutter. Any ideas?

Back