• Register Today It's free!

Belt Slippage

99ExploratorySUV

Reaction score
City, State
Voorhees, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4x4 SOHC XLT
I have a question regarding my drive belt. I have a 99' Exp. SOHC V6. I just replaced both the belt tensioner and drive belt. (I got the more expensive belt to make sure). Yet now I'm still hearing a squeal (gets more prevalent when revved or driven). I even used belt conditioner to try to resolve the problem to no avail. Any suggestions? I guess it's one of the other pulleys that's causing it to slip, but how can I narrow this down? Any suggestions welcome. By the way car has 140,000 miles on it. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my ex has a few thousand more miles than yours and my alternator's bearing went bad, paid $100 for a local shop to rebuild it and now i have no problems, but before that try replacing the idler pulley, a cheap ~$10 part

What brand and size belt did you use?

Also, did you replace the idler pulley?

To find a noisey pulley, run your engine and spray each one individually with WD-40 or something similar. When the squealing stops, that's your pulley.

BTW, my idler pulley and tensioner went within 2 weeks of each other

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Aldive, no I have not replaced the idler pulley, I'll probably do that anyway if its that cheap. Thanks metalmechanic, I'll try that too. I appreciate all of your feedback, this thing's been really buggin me. Al, where do you get those gatorback belts? I dont recall seeing them, most stores carry dayco around here. I just put a Dayco on it.

Dayco is a good brand. I hate Goodyear and refuse to use their overpriced crap on my Mountaineer.

is your ac clutch stuck?

Dudes, I finally found the source of the squeal. I took off the belt and spun all of the pulleys indivdually. I had already bought an ilder pulley, so i just decided to replace it while it was off, even though it hadn't gone bad. (It probably would have eventually, so no loss). The alternator pulley was the culprit! When spun with my hand, it had a very slight wobble, I could see that the grooves weren't perfectly straight as it spun. Plus it made a very slight sqeaky noise, but when the belt is spinning at 2,000rpm, this is intensely amplified. So I'm gonna replace that bad boy tomorrow. Everyone thanks for your input in helping me diagnose this:thumbsup:. I can finally stop worrying about it :D

Congrats!!! :):)

Okay, so what I realized about the alternator pulley is this. The pulley on the alternator has no bearings of its own... which means the shaft inside the alternator has the bearings, and they were shot causing it to squeak so much. So, not wanting my alt to seize, I got a new one and threw that bad boy on today. However, I still have a squeak!! Gahh. I have a new tensioner, new belt, new idler pulley, and new alternator. Recently I've used a lot of belt conditioner on that new belt. Plus I've also spun the other pulleys by hand to see if they squeaked and they all checked out. Is it possible I've put too much dressing on the belt (I have put on quite a lot in the past few days) and that that's causing it to slip? And if so, should I try and clean the belt or just drive it till it wears off?

I would never use a belt dressing product on a serpentine belt, those products were for old style V belts.

If it were me, I would pull the belt and clean it throughly.

Good luck ....

What should I clean it with? It's pretty sticky stuff. You think it could be causing it to squeak if there's too much of it?

Can't say if it would be the cause,. I would clean it with a solvent such as Moneral spirits,etc.

Good luck ...

Quite possible it is your camshaft position sensor/sync gear assembly.

That belt dressing stuff is garbage. It will cause more problems than it's worth.

Okay so I finally figured out that I have a defective belt tensioner... what a piece of ****. When I went to slacken the belt to take it off and clean it, the pivoting arm stuck after I took the breaker bar off! I had to actually push it back with my hand... ughh. At least I still have the receipt, so I can exchange it. Is there like a brand I should avoid when I exchange it? I might get the more expensive one they had. The one I got was a Dayco. The more expensive one was "Factory Air". I'm wondering if I should go to Ford and get it... I kno it'll probably be a lot.. What do you guys think?

Given a choice, I would prefer to use a Ford part, however, I am using a Dayco currently and have no problems.

I think you just got a bad one; could happen with any brand.

I would still clean the belt.

Good luck ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm surprised the Dayco one was bad but things do happen. Try another Dayco first. If it's bad go with a Gates. I have never heard of the other brand and would not invest my money in it.

Back