Belt slipping off Waterpump pully. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Belt slipping off Waterpump pully.

OLDJIMMYBONES

Reaction score
City, State
LI, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
my water pump went and it was shooting antifreeze allover the belt so the belt kept slipping off the waterpump/fan pully so i changed the water pump and belt.

but would the belt getting wet be enough for it to slip off or is there a another problem with the tension pully? it seems tight and holding good but ima be driving/workin all night so i got to get this fixed asap

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what engine is in your 98?

Thebelt slipping off the waterpump pulley is kind of odd, but it was a leaking waterpump so its possible the pump shaft itself was not aligned properly?

Does the new belt run okay? any noises?

its running good and sounds fine, but it was sliding behind the water pump pully and getting jammed between it, and i retensioned it back on and it sliped off about 10 times hasent sliped since the water pump but its only been done for a little wile so i dont want to find out later its still messed up

oh and a 5.0 awd

Check your belt tensioner and idler pulleys as well while your under the hood. With the belt off, check for smooth freely rolling operation of the pulleys. With a vehicle that is 11 or more years old, the lubrication in the pulley bearings could be gone. Either one of those pulleys going bad could cause the belt to slip off again or break the belt. When I last replaced my belt, I kept the old one, even though it was not in very good shape. It will be good for an emergency replacement should the new belt break or come off and get lost on the road.

belts dont slip off a pulley easily, all the accessories are aligned and half of them are grooved, as long as the new waterpump is in and the belt is not slipping off I am going to guess your problem was your old waterpump and pulley

Of course you can easily check the tension of the tensioner and you can listen for squeeks, if none then its likely okay. The tensioner and idler pulley bearings seem to last about 150K miles

I would agree... It's likely that the old water pump's bushing was shot, allowing the belt to ride at an angle and, under the right conditions, walk off. I wouldn't sweat it.

Back