Belt sqeaking on 2000 5.0 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Belt sqeaking on 2000 5.0

CDW6212R said:
I think that we are talking about the same thing. You need the old bolt to mount the new idler pulley.
Don

Yes we were. I knew all of that. What I don't know is if the washer is necessary to the safe long-term operation of the idler pulley. That's what I want to know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, I think it was a factory easier-to-assemble idea. I honestly don't know, but as I mentioned before, if it is not a grooved pulley, then the washer isn't critical.
Don

Well I had at it today with my 5.0 V8 upper idler pulley. The setup is different on the V8 as opposed to the V6. However, I did have the washer. Luckilly on mine as I backed out the bolt the washer kinda spun off so when I removed the pulley it just needed a few twists. The same thing happened when I put it back on so I was able to reuse mine. As I had suspected it just needs to be threadded on the bolt. There was also a large flat washer that goes on the outside of the idler pulley on top of the bearing.

I started the car up and it squeaked even though it was sunny. I replaced the idler pulley in about 20 minutes and the squeak stopped. I was suspect of the success because as the sun came up it got less humid. I started several times during the day and it was quiet.

Unfortnatley, as night fell and the humidity raised it seems that the squeak has come back. I really think its coming from the power stearing pump pulley but it is very hard to tell even with the mechanics stethescope. AutoZone had sold me upper and lower idler pulleys but the lower one seems to be the belt tensioner. The lower idler pulley on the 5.0 V8 seems to be in the bottom passenger side and is small with grooves - the one I was sold is the same size as the tensioner pulley and is smooth.

I'll try replacing the tensioner but if that doesn't work I think I'm going to have to wait for a good rain storm and go to the dealer :mad:

ps: On the V8 the bottom pulleys are a PITA to get at. If you are working on this make sure you have a long, thin head 3/8" ratchet.

Yes, via your ps, the belt is easier to remove from below with a 3.8" ratchet.

If you do need to replace the power steering pump, because that's the bearing that is causing your noise, try to get a Ford pump.
I have changed a PS pump on a 1986 Crown Vic with an "Autozone" pump. The steering effort was moderately higher, because the pump was not as strong a s the Ford pump. This may not be an issue for anyone else, and the Crown Vic had a Saginaw PS box, not rack and pinion. LOL,
DonW

CDW6212R said:
Yes, via your ps, the belt is easier to remove from below with a 3.8" ratchet.

If you do need to replace the power steering pump, because that's the bearing that is causing your noise, try to get a Ford pump.
I have changed a PS pump on a 1986 Crown Vic with an "Autozone" pump. The steering effort was moderately higher, because the pump was not as strong a s the Ford pump. This may not be an issue for anyone else, and the Crown Vic had a Saginaw PS box, not rack and pinion. LOL,
DonW

I got the car used with an extended warrantee so it should be covered under that from the dealer (in which case they would use a Ford pump). The problem is I have a $100 deductable so little things like pulleys are cheaper to do myself.

Good, if you decide it is the PS pump, let them do it. It takes a PS pulley puller, and probably an hour or more of labor.
Don

Interesting. I was raining today and there was no sqeak! I'll have to go through a few more rain storms but it's looking like the upper idler pulley may have fixed it.

Back