Belt tensioner problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Belt tensioner problem

Sotarn

Reaction score
City, State
Sweden
Year, Model & Trim Level
I just got a new belt tensioner because my belt was squeling like a pig, but the squeling is still there.

The belt feels a bit loose. In what position should the tensioner be when it's doing it's job. Mine feels like it isn't tensioning the belt.

Is there any way of tensioning the belt manually?
The belt is 1 month old

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take a bit of dish soap and put it on the belt see if that takes a way the squeling.

Try belt dressing you can get this at most part stores..

The tension design on these systems is adequate for the task, squeeling may be a sign of something wrong. A few easy troubleshooting steps you may not have taken yet.

1. Remove the belt. Spin the pulleys by hand , you're looking for roughness or binding. Common failures are the tensioner (replaced), alternator, idler and A/C Compressor clutch.
2. Start vehicle, listen for squeel. Still squeeling means belt driven component isn't problem.
3. Replace belt, turn A/C compressor off. Turn on and see if problem goes away. Alternately you can view the A/C compressor for when it spins. If squeeling stops A/C clutch is going bad (my current problem).
4. Turn wheels and listen for change in squeel. If pitch changes suspect power steering pump.
5. Observe water pump shaft. Does it move forward or backward? It should rotate but not move back and forth(bad water pump)

Those are the easy ones, others may have more.

Be careful around moving parts and keep your fingers, hair and clothing out of the moving machinery.

get a new ideler wheel...my ranger and explorer did the same. I bought a new belt and it still made noise, put on a new iderler and it was fixed

My tensioner failed twice. The first time i put a new one in and the noise went away for about 3 months then came back. So the second time i replaced both the tensioner and the idler wheel. Now its been fine for like 8 months.

The voltmeter is in the lower part of the scale when the car screems. Could it be the alternator, or the alternator bearings that is bad?

Back