• Register Today It's free!

belt tensioner question

jaygecko

Reaction score
City, State
tampa florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 ranger splash
trying to change the serpentine belt on an 98 explorer 4.0 sohc motor the tensioner would not stay tight at all (would keep loosening up and the belt would not stay completely tight) i think it is the tensioner that might not be working properly.

how hard is it to change the tensioner?

the reason i am asking is because the other day my friend was driving and the belt loosened up and unseated itself on one of the pulleys it seemed (the side of the belt had marks on it where the threads in it were snagging on something and ripping away from the belt. (it wasnt completely tight today when i looked at it (it seemed like it was tight because i believe the belt was a little offset from when it messed up the other day and one of the grooves in the belt was riding on the edge of one of the pullies (causing it to be somewhat tight but if it were to not be sitting on the edge of the pulley then it would have been looser) ***this is kinda why i am thinking it may have something to do with the tensioner, since when the belt was off, the tensioner didnt seem to want to move freely, it kinda felt like it was binding up inside (i dont know exactly how the inside of the tensioner works, but it didnt feel like the tensioner that is on my ranger 4.0ohv)

any help on something to do or how to change the tensioner would help.

thanks in advance

jay

I changed mine on my 95 and it had to be the easiest repair I've done to my X thus far. One bolt, and it slides right out. But mine was on the OHV and I don't know how much different they are.

Back