Belt to Bypass AC compressor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Belt to Bypass AC compressor

77vettejeff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer sport
I have a 93 explorer 4.0. Is it possible to bypass the AC compressor with different belt? Has anyone done this? I'm wondering if the tensioner will still work properly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why may I ask would you want to do that?

Because I'm getting the AC fixed before a long trip this weekend. I'd like to be prepared if my compressor locks-up (many, many miles on my explorer). This way, if I have a belt that bypasses the compressor, I can just put it on and be on my way. It's just to be prepared if there is a problem. I read that I may be able to get the non-ac belt for my car. I may give it a try.

Hey man, I know exactly what you're trying to do, because I've done the same for the last 5 years.

I just went and asked for a belt for a 1992 Ford Ranger with the 4.0L WITHOUT A/C and its worked perfect everytime. Hope that helps!

huh i wonder if running a smaller belt would make a diff in the rpms the water,alt,and power steering turns?like under drive pulleys,smaller the pulley the faster it turns at low speed.:scratch::dunno:

It works fine with the 4.0 non AC belt.

huh i wonder if running a smaller belt would make a diff in the rpms the water,alt,and power steering turns?like under drive pulleys,smaller the pulley the faster it turns at low speed.:scratch::dunno:

Just think about that for a second. It won't matter at all. The belt still turns just as fast as the crank. Correct, the belt will make more revolutions because its now shorter, but it won't turn any faster because It will still be driven by the crank and the crank only goes as fast as the it goes. The only way to change it would be to put a larger/smaller pulley on any of the accessories or to put one on the crank even.

Just think about that for a second. It won't matter at all. The belt still turns just as fast as the crank. Correct, the belt will make more revolutions because its now shorter, but it won't turn any faster because It will still be driven by the crank and the crank only goes as fast as the it goes. The only way to change it would be to put a larger/smaller pulley on any of the accessories or to put one on the crank even.

yea figured that haha hey we all have brain farts!!:fart::fart:

No doubt. Happens to all of us. I burst out laughing when i first saw that. lol.

haha yea yea i was ummm in some kind of cloud
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a 93 explorer 4.0. Is it possible to bypass the AC compressor with different belt? Has anyone done this? I'm wondering if the tensioner will still work properly.
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Base 4.0L I also wanted to bypass the AC compressor the belt that I used was a 5060710 at advanced auto .....the 5060690 was to big but 5060710 works just fine

You mean the 5060690 was too short?? The last 3 digits are length (69.0")...the 5060710 is 71"..also for reference the (6) is how many ribs..if wanted a 8 rib in 71" it would be 5080710👍

You mean the 5060690 was too short?? The last 3 digits are length (69.0")...the 5060710 is 71"..also for reference the (6) is how many ribs..if wanted a 8 rib in 71" it would be 5080710👍
5060710 with 6 rib fits fine

Yes it'll work I bypassed my A/C compressor with a non ac belt for the 4.0 OHV ford ranger got it off of rock auto

Back