• Register Today It's free!

bench seat...in the front.

pfeffer1728

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
ok so i had this crazy idea one day to have a bench in the front of my 98 XLT...i was wondering if it was possible to do this...with either the back seat of a 4door, or maybe the bench from a regular cab ranger. does anyone know if this can be done (i mean easily...bolt in place...)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 91 had the front bench in it but i switch it to buckets and was a simple matter of just changing the seat brackets and bolting it in.

but you might wanna look for the Ranger 60/40 since it has a nice storage compartment in the arm rest which the Explorer did'nt get.

I've seen some second gens with a 60/40 split front seats..but they're rare to find.

yeah i cant find anything online...might stop at a salvage yard and see what they have. thanks guys

I bet one from a ranger would bolt up good, but be sure to make sure of that first

I have a bench from a first gen sitin in my garage. needs a good cleaning though

i know this is an old ass thread. But it seems like a sweet idea. Has anyone do it. Pfeffer did you ever get it done? i have the same car, that would be sweet if i got it done

COME ONNNNN.... I THINK I MIGHT BUILD ONE..... :dunno:

that would be so cool, my ex would really feel like a truck then

Deal

My center console is broken and also the reclining bolt in the driver front seat. So, it looks like it'll be cheaper for me to just switch over to a bench seat. The 60/40 will probably be my choice so that the driver seat can adjust.
Pics to come once i find the seat.

My center console is broken and also the reclining bolt in the driver front seat. So, it looks like it'll be cheaper for me to just switch over to a bench seat. The 60/40 will probably be my choice so that the driver seat can adjust.
Pics to come once i find the seat.

I'm sure you probably already knew but, there was a recall on the driver seat reclining bolt. So ford will fix it for free.

the buckets have a peice added to the floor pan for the seats to mount to, i did a bench to bucket conversion and had to add that in. the mounting holes for a bench were present in the truck that donated its bucket mounts to mine, so you would need to remove that and then you can install a ranger bench directly to the floor

My '97 had a factory 60/40 up front. The middle seat folded down into an arm rest. I forgot all about it until I saw this thread.

I'm sure you probably already knew but, there was a recall on the driver seat reclining bolt. So ford will fix it for free.

I went to Ford and they said i had gone too long from the time they first started sending me recall letters. They also said there was more damage since i waited and that they couldn't fix it for free.

the buckets have a peice added to the floor pan for the seats to mount to, i did a bench to bucket conversion and had to add that in. the mounting holes for a bench were present in the truck that donated its bucket mounts to mine, so you would need to remove that and then you can install a ranger bench directly to the floor

So i would need to lift the carpet, right?

I went to Ford and they said i had gone too long from the time they first started sending me recall letters. They also said there was more damage since i waited and that they couldn't fix it for free.

That sucks. Maybe try another dealer. I waited forever and the dealership here fixed it and the hood latch assembly no questions asked. Then again i was spending a couple hundred already on a emergency brake cable.

Local dealer just did the seat recliner bolt recall thing on my 99 sport last week. For free, no problem. It's a safety recall, there is no time limit. If you want it fixed raise a stink with that dealer or take it to another dealer.

Looking at this thread, my driver's seat recliner bolt is busted, but since my Explorer is a 1991 will they still honor this recall?

If not, I am gonna either buy another set of seats (mine has the 60/40), or just find the whole bracket the seat sits on cuz mine won't recline, won't go forward at all due to the busted recliner bolt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking at this thread, my driver's seat recliner bolt is busted, but since my Explorer is a 1991 will they still honor this recall?

If not, I am gonna either buy another set of seats (mine has the 60/40), or just find the whole bracket the seat sits on cuz mine won't recline, won't go forward at all due to the busted recliner bolt.

Have they sent you any letters? If not you can go here http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/09-int/1991/ford/explorer/index.html to see what they need to do. Go to the dealer and mention that you just got the truck.

Back