bent leaf spring and squeeky front... any cheap ideas (college student) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bent leaf spring and squeeky front... any cheap ideas (college student)

Electrohacker

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clinton Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT V8 4WD
OK...

so I just spent about 2 -3 weeks sandblasting all the rust off my explorer and painting and sealing it back up... BIG JOB

now I look at it and it leans to the driver's side in the rear. Took a look at the leaf spring and the main leaf is all bent (pictures to come later)
My dad wont let me touch it and says it needs to be aligned at a shop with some tool called a pogo (I think he's nuts)
My dad says we could correct it with air shocks for about $80, but I think thats a stop gap measure as he also says its most likely cause by engine torque (I got the 302 V8 AWD '96 4 door).

Also... I noticed the front end squeeks. Dad thinks its struts but it's been on blocks for 2-3 weeks while I worked on the rear fenders, so I havent been able to do the WD-40 test

Any cheap ideas on how to fix it right or how to make going into a shop cheaper or delaying "the FIX" so I can build up the funds would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just get a set of used rear leafs to fix that problem. Should be under $100. I have a set as a matter of fact but it would be cheaper for you to get them local.

yeah that was my idea, but dad says I need to align them somehow... I dont understand that since I'm just removing one sping and puttng an identical one on. just gotta reattach everything where the rust lines were

i mean unless it has been a shackle or perch or front spring mount alignment will still leave you with a bent spring. Just get a matching set form the junkyard for around $80 or so and replace them both that way you know they are same spring rate. Try to get them off a v8 and if not make sure they are atleast 4dr leafs.

Tell your dad to look under your truck and find your struts... you dont have any. YOu have torsion bars.

Yeah the main leaf could have some dips and bends in it but as long as they arent really big id just roll with them. If you have that add right rear side sagging learn to deal with it or get new leaf springs. Even the new leaf springs will develope the sag over time though.

Very good point about the struts I didn't even look at the front end problems.

You should not have to get it aligned if you just replace the leaf springs unless you had a 4 wheel alignment done with the spring already bent.

I'd suggest a new spring...easy to put in and not too expensive....."fixing" it with air shocks is a stop gap measure and won't correct the problem.

i think you should not let your dad work on or make suggestions about your X. All you need is a new leafspring and possibly a ball join depending on the squeak. A squeak could be anything up front though there are hundreds of moving parts.

I agree keep your dad away!!!

ok your truck doenst have struts! it has regular shocks up front... its suspension design uses torsion bars to support the truck... your leaf spring isnt bent, if you want a picture, i have a picture of a bent leaf spring vs. a not bent leaf spring... it might sag a little bit, but that is normal.... if it bothers you, swap your left side and right side leaf packs.... that should cure the problem, at least for now and not cost anything....

thats what I was thinking... I figure if the problem was caused by engine torque then the sagging spring would be corrected on the other side.

another idea I came upon was a local susspension shop says they can re-arc the springs for $120 reinsatalled realigned this might be my solution for the rear...

now I'm getting scared about the front because if it is ball joints I cant afford them now... I assume I can just ignore them for a while and live with the squeek?

I hope its the grease fittings just need a pump or two... Although I just did it this spring.

DSCN0490_2.jpg

See its saggingabout an inch or so... it looks terrible

DSCN0491_2.jpg

and if you look in the blury parts of this photo you see the front of the spring shows deflection under no load... I bet its a bend

You have axleweap. your spring ahs the typical ~ shape to it cause by axlewrap. I suggest driving with a lttle less right foot. Yeha id get some new springs and u-bolts. looks pretty rusty so good luck.

wow man... thats a hell of alot of rust on a 96... but i dont see the bend your talkin about? i did see in the one pic that your driverside saged more than the pass side... just go get you some leafs at a junkyard off of another x?... its not hard to do! and that front end squeek could be a dryed out bushing by the looks of the frame... spray some white grease on there... wd40 will go away alot faster...

the rust is pretty typical for michigan with 150,000 miles...

yep... thats why... michigan! i guess if i woulda looked and seen the MI haha... im a dumbass! but yeah i see the bend now to.. so observant! id just replace the springs man.. cant be anymore than 75-100 bucks...

my dad wont let me do the swap so If I get new springs I have to do it up at school at the range house (our 4 wheel club's house with full garage), but I like the idea of a shop rearcing them because then:
1 I dont gotta do it (just did a ton of body/bumper rust removal and kinda worn out)
2 it gets done right (I dont know what to torque the bolts to and so on)
3 it gets aligned proporly (no even the club has the tools to do this)
4 it's guarenteed

i doubt a shop is going to align the rear end, it isnt a steering axle and not much can be or needs to be done to align it....

well when I say align I mean makeing sure the axles goes on straight... it is possible to not have the axle not sit on the leaf in the right spot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The leaf spring has a centering bolt through it that fits into a hole in the spring perch and the u-bolt plate so it goes on straight. There is no mystery or alignment needed. You unbolt the old spring and bolt the new one in place...no special tools, no alignment, just bolt it up. If you do decide to replace 'em, make sure you soak the bolts with penetrating oil (PB Blaster or equivalent) for several days before you start so they will come out. I wouldn't re-arch a bent spring. It's already been stressed beyond it's working limits, so it may be weakened.

I agree with the above statements. I don't think your dad knows what he's talking about when it comes to vehicles.....do it yourself or have someone else besides your dad do the work.

Back