Best angle to drain engine oil on 2021 XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best angle to drain engine oil on 2021 XLT?

blackstallion

Reaction score
City, State
Advance, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
Performed my first oil change around 700 miles ago at 1400 miles. Noticed today when checking the dipstick (engine was off for about 1 hour but still hot) that the oil level is above the top hole of the stick, meaning it's to high. I didn't notice any air bubbles in the oil though, so I'm hopeful it's not to full. I'll be checking again tomorrow morning before I crank up.

Question is, what is the best position for the vehicle to drain the most oil from the engine? My driveway is graded down away from the house, and I had the vehicle facing the house AND on ramps, so the engine would have been at a steeper angle relative to the vehicle than usual.

Is that the best angle? Or would level be better?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Performed my first oil change around 700 miles ago at 1400 miles. Noticed today when checking the dipstick (engine was off for about 1 hour but still hot) that the oil level is above the top hole of the stick, meaning it's to high. I didn't notice any air bubbles in the oil though, so I'm hopeful it's not to full. I'll be checking again tomorrow morning before I crank up.

Question is, what is the best position for the vehicle to drain the most oil from the engine? My driveway is graded down away from the house, and I had the vehicle facing the house AND on ramps, so the engine would have been at a steeper angle relative to the vehicle than usual.

Is that the best angle? Or would level be better?
Level . 👍🏻

Checked the oil level this morning, was right below the full level dot vs when hot (even hours after) was above substantially.

So lesson learned, on the Explorer 2.3L Ecoboost, if you're checking the oil level when the engine is hot, it will show higher than it truly is. Probably has to do with the oil splatter not having a chance to fully drain down the dipstick tube.

Where this is concerning is when the oil level is on the lower side, it can deceive you into believing the level is actually higher than it truly is ☹️.

11.6 degrees nose down is best.
Screenshot_20210924-124210_Chrome.jpg

What's with 1400-mile oil change?

What's with 1400-mile oil change?
I believe that there are some members that have done the same or earlier for their first oil change. I guess it's just a personal preference.
I don't treat the first change any differently than the following ones and I use regular oil (non-synthetic).

Peter

I believe that there are some members that have done the same or earlier for their first oil change. I guess it's just a personal preference.
I don't treat the first change any differently than the following ones and I use regular oil (non-synthetic).

Peter
No sir, it's not a "personal preference", like choosing a blue paint job vs red, or one brand over another, but more erring on the side of caution since GDI's are known to be extremely difficult on oil, especially during a break in period.

And Ford DOES state there is a 1k break in period for the engine, where you are supposed to keep under 80mph, not use CC, not rev above 3k rpm...so it's not far fetched to believe there could be benefit to performing an oil change after that break in period, since the engine IS breaking in during that time.

It is still a 'personal preference' in my book since there is nothing to say it has to be done that early. My preference is to have it done twice a year regardless of mileage, when I get the winter/OEM tires swapped.

Peter

No sir, it's not a "personal preference", like choosing a blue paint job vs red, or one brand over another, but more erring on the side of caution since GDI's are known to be extremely difficult on oil, especially during a break in period.

To whom are GDI engines known to be "extremely difficult on oil"?

Now, if you want to change your oil every 127 miles, that's your business, or, as those of us not well-educated call it, personal preference. Just make sure the car is at the right angle when you do it. :) :) :)

I did the first oil change on my Speed 3 @1K then @3K. Subsequent changes around 5K. When I DIY, the car is on ramps during the drain. The drain port is at the rear on the Mustang and the Explorer. The Hemis' drain plugs were also on the rear of the oil pan, so perhaps another few ounces drained than if it were level. I filled the filter, put five quarts in, then backed it off the ramps. I drove it for a while, then tested the level. Usually, another 1/2 quart did the trick.

Back