Best brand parts for 1997 SOHC engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best brand parts for 1997 SOHC engine

allmyEXes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
I just purchased a clean low miles (131K) Ex LTD 4.0 SOHC vehicle and it runs but it sounds as though the primary timing chain is slapping around due to a broken tensioner or guide. I assume that the secondary chain tensioner failure wouldn't be as noisy and I won't know exactly what the problem is until I disassemble it. What is the best brand guide and tensioner (improved 2002 version of course) should I purchase and if the chain is in good condition and not stretched can I leave it in place during the repair and replacement of other parts? I did find this really good write up on the task without a lot of searching
How to: - SOHC V6 Primary chain tensioner replacement
Does anyone know, I figured TechbyTrade would know or 410fortune how many book labor hrs it would take to do the task. I know it will take me twice as long the first time. Just the primary chain replace doesn't look like it would take much longer than a fully dressed old ford smallblock...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FORD parts for this
Have you looked down the oil cap to see the upper cassette, guide and tensioner?
Removing the timing cover will tall the tale on whats parts are needed if all the noises are up front then you get off easy and don't have to pull the engine.

I wouldn't do this repair with anything but Ford/Motorcraft parts.

I suggest you remove the lower oil pan to look for broken pieces of plastic, indicating guide failure.

Thanks for the info. So far I have only been able to locate the MOTORCRAFT parts through my local Ford Dealer...

Most Ford parts dealers sell at full MSRP. That includes the FordParts.com site. I've had excellent experience with AutoNation Ford Parts as well as Tasca Ford for on line ordering. They also give you COMPLETE Ford part numbers to compare pricing. Unless you're in a big rush, or if the parts are bulky or heavy, chances are you will be saving a lot of money. Compare with your local source. GL

Engine Parts for 1997 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La

Engine Parts for 1997 Ford Explorer | TascaParts.com

No brainer, but just a reminder to use your VIN whenever possible for parts accuracy.

Back