Best bulb for the buck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best bulb for the buck

Okay, so I finally got my clears in, so I figured I'd drop by PepBoys (I know, don't say) tonight and pick up some high-heat silver paint and just paint the bulbs.. but I ended up instead just buying replacement OEM Sylvania bulbs (all white/clear) to make them look a tad nicer.

I ended up buying the wrong size for the signal, but the corner driving light worked. First off, are the front corner bulb sizes 3157? I know the corner driving light is 916 or something, the box is downstairs.

Anyways, I'm looking to get sharp white bulbs to sort of flow with my hyper white headlights that totally make the corners look dull. I'm a little short on cash here, but what is the best bulb for the buck here? I know APC is pretty reliable, but dam are they expensive. I'm just looking for white replacements (not amber, even though non-amber turn signals are illegal here)- a little brighter than OEM stuff, just enough to flow with the headlights.
Again, I'm not sure of the size of the corner signals now that I bought the wrong ones, but Sylvania says 3157's on signals and 916's (which I got right) on the corner markers.

I would like to replace both sizes of bulbs (4 3157's & 2 916's)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know you have two choices in bulbs. Bluish or clear. They are both 5 to 8 watts which arnt bright.
You can get a 1156 socket from NAPA # LS6455 and drill a 1 1/4" hole in the light housing and snap in an additional 26 watt bulb. This is about the only way to get a brighter parking light. This would go in the top only as there isnt room in the side lights.

i would just paint the stock amber's with silver...but to me corner's are supposed to have color..but that's me

I just did the silver paint and it turned out perfect. The lights are slightly dimmer, but thats fine, they were too bright to begin with. They'd light up road signs.:rolleyes:

I also painted my bulbs with Silver paint....they do dim the amber lights when there on...they give it a cool looking deep orange light when lit. And remain silver in the day.....

bill where can you get the 26 watt bulb that is an 1156?

i am planning on wiring my wig wags into my turn signals now as they cant be wired to my headlights and the turns are 1156s.....

ive heard horror stories of the painted bulbs melting so i went ahead and bought some bulbs that are silver in color but light up amber, they have the that light up all kinds of colors and you cant even see them in the clears. Looks good

Jim, I think all 1156 are 26 watts or so.
They are a little less wattage than the blinker filiment of a 1157 or 3157 but a lot better than the 5 - 8 watts a parking light element is.

is it? i thought the 1156 was like a 5-7 watt bulb........

Back