bigred4x4

Off-road enthusiast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
chesapeake virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt 4x4
After doing a torsion twist I think my 22 year old CV joints are starting to show their age I would like to buy some new CV joints to bring with me on my off road trip just in case. anybody have any suggestions for some fairly inexpensive but high-quality CV joints? I need them within a week. This is the passenger and driver side CV axles by the way. Also any thing else prone to breakage? I already have as far as spare parts, a spare serpentine belt,U-joints and torsion bar is there anything else I should bring?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After reading this again I should of put it in the modified forum.

That's what I was leaning so far I just didn't know if there was something even better out there someone knows about. This trip will be the most consecutive days of straight trail riding and the trail system is the furthest away from from my home compared to the other trails iv had it on so I just want to be prepared I have plenty tools, fluids, quick repair items, emergency items,and spare u joints and belt anything else you recommend I bring? Don't want to be stuck out there if I can help it.

Also I usually use an impact wrench to get the axle nut off is there a way to do it without an impact wrench on the trail like could you put it in 4-wheel drive to keep it from moving and use a breaker bar?

KIMG0063.JPG

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on em....

I think my ex and my credit card need to get a room lol but will be worth there weight in gold if I end up busting one on the trail.

So any thing special about these besides the lifetime warranty? Are they a little stronger/tougher than usual and/or have a good angle until binding ratio?

How much were those from O'Reilly's?

If you have the front CV drive shaft, I might carry the CV repair kit, about $80 from Dorman(don't get anything from Detroit Axle(cheap company)).

All my drive shaft are u joints (double cardon front) . I have one spare u joint I I know it will fit the rear and I think it'll fit the front as well I'll have to check on that though the CV axles were 64.99 and 66.99

Cool, I thought the 96 had the DC joint still. I'm glad the CV axles dropped in price, they were around $80 when I got my first pair in 2004.

My left one is still fine after about 130k miles, and I just replaced the right one because the boot got torn open. It's good that there isn't a $350 version like for the Mustang IRS's. I wish we had a stronger one to choose from, but people are doing okay it seems.

Yea I mean my ex has been running on 32s and has been wheeled for most of it's life and it still has the original CVs but every since the torsion twist the other day I noticed as I was getting on an exit ramp that when I was taking the tight turn I heard some noise which to me sounded like a CV joint but it was very faint and wasn't that bad yet. Also this summer while I was on the beach there was a very bad section at the beginning where I was bouncing up and down off the bump stops and I could hear a little bit of popping coming from the front end at full droop which to me sounded like CV joints. I don't have time to replace them before the trip so I figured I would just bring them just in case and then do it when I get back. Plus I kind of like having something you know you're going to replace soon so you can really beat on it and see what it takes to break it LOL.

I know there is a company that can custom make some chromoly cv's for the truck that you'll probably never break but the cost is outrageous (over $1000)I think these Precision CV's with the lifetime warranty is the way to go.

Double check your UCA bolts before the trip, those have been found loose by some people, and that would cause odd noises.

All that is good I checked on all that when I did the LCA a few weeks ago. It was more of a rotational popping noise coming from the drive axle as the wheel was turning at full droop not so much a suspension popping.

Yeah, I was hoping it'd be something simple like the bolts. Mine has a couple of pops/creaks that I hope is minor, I haven't gone through the control arms or TRE's yet, body bolts etc.

My driver CV boot is torn a little been that way for Awhile honestly I'm surprised it's lasted so long. I've replaced everything else up front so I figured the cv's would be next to go . O and I still get some noise up front with everything up there being new or less than two years old except sway bar mount bushings I'm too worried about it.

This thread is old and stale, but I think this might breathe some life into it -- Extended Travel CV Axles by Trakmotive.
I posted about it in the little Sport Trac subforum, but thought it needs more visibility, cuz it might be sweeet.
I don't want to double post, so here is where I posted:

2021 bump...

I threw a pair of Cardones in 60,000mi ago. I drive like a grandpa, all on-road, lots of highway, and almost never in 4WD. They’re already making noise. Chinese junk.

Anyone make a good, long-lasting set of CV axles? Or should I just buy Motorcraft...

My original ones lasted 258,000mi. I only had to replace because the seals wore into the shafts and I couldn’t get new seals to not leak :(

I have good service from all of my CV axles. I bought two from Autozone, one from O'Reilly's, and two from Advance Auto. All were about $65, the O'Reilly's part was new and about $90. I've only had two boots tear, one I caught early and just replaced the boot.

I'd guess you had poor luck given the light use put on them. I suggest trying again with the common brand axles, I'm guessing Ford's is still very high.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't had a problem yet from precision brand at the irish "O" chain store, plus, they swap em out ( warranty) no questions asked every time I tear down the front end for repairs.

Back