Best exhaust manifold studs?

Greg_DonWindsor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Limited V8 4x4
I have the known issue with the 4th gen Explorer, an exhaust manifold leak on driver side. Will need to get a new one installed. Of those who’ve done it, what are the recommended studs to use to ensure this never happens again?

Thanks for any help here, I’ve considered getting a complete aftermarket set of headers, but due to the need to have a mustang set modified, or custom set fabricated, neither option is currently within my workable budget.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly, any set that is stainless is your best bet. I got the Mahle metal gasket, and a set of dorman stainless studs. I replaced the entire manifold when I did my repair, used motorcraft manifolds. Its been three years and no issue yet, studs still have no corosion and look good.

Why not using Ford OEM ones?

In my opinion, the reason for broken manifold studs are actually heat affected manifold gasket surfaces
and tension caused by catalytic converter Ypipe weight

So if considering hydrogen embrittlement or tension corrosion effect...its hard to believe that ford material engineers not aware about this issue during studs production.

In my opinion, the reason for broken manifold studs are actually heat affected manifold gasket surfaces

So if considering hydrogen embrittlement or tension corrosion effect...its hard to believe that ford material engineers not aware about this issue during studs production.
The studs are going to break either way if they are going to break. Being stainless means you stand a MUCH better chance of easily extracting said stud after it breaks.

Havent replaced my manifold yet but according to my mechanical production practice,spiral flute extractors will work anyways (as long as pilot hole diameter drilled acc. to stud extractor spec.) with any type and grade of stud material..

Because Ford has never engineered things for decades with known materials issues....

Back