Best Explorer Shocks for the SMooOOTHES ride? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Explorer Shocks for the SMooOOTHES ride?

Pipelayer

Reaction score
City, State
Gary, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport Coupe 4WD, SUV
I need to replace the shocks on my 2000 Ford Explorer Sport, 2 door, 4 wheel drive
SUV. I really like a smooth ride. Should I just go with the OEMs or is there something better that can be recommended? Maybe something that..... floats like a butterfly....

any recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a lot of people around here they use and like Rancho RS5000, but if you have the extra money for the Rancho RS9000X with 9 adjustable settings that is going to be your best bid.

you can choose from extra soft to extra stiff ride.

I'll be subscribing to this thread.

I have used Monroe 'reflex/ sens-a-trac' and wass quite pleased with them over the oem and the autopart store 'Murrays' HD version.

But always receptive to more input form others.

Chris, been pricing those Rancho RS9000Xs you suggested, not too bad. Saw it at my4by.com for $71 bucks. You can also purchase and in cab remote so you can change all nine settings from within the vehicle. Appreciate your input Mic, I'm also looking at the "Monroe reflex/ sens-a-tracS". I'm considering these, but still hoping to get some more suggestions.

i advice you to get just the 4 shocks without the in cab controler because it have been proved to be very unreliable.

chrisis said:
i advice you to get just the 4 shocks without the in cab controler because it have been proved to be very unreliable.

Thanks for sharing that, good buddy.

i also can tell you that the smoothest dial for those shocks is a little bit smoother than the stock ones, but if you are not sure how smooth you want to go rancho rs9000 is your best bid because is giving you the freedom of changing smoothness wherever you want and you can reach the dial control pretty easy.

chrisis said:
i also can tell you that the smoothest dial for those shocks is a little bit smoother than the stock ones, but if you are not sure how smooth you want to go rancho rs9000 is your best bid because is giving you the freedom of changing smoothness wherever you want and you can reach the dial control pretty easy.

Wow... sounds like a hell of a shock, can't imagine anything outdoing it.

I've got a set of Monroe Sensa-Tracs, brand new with all the hardware I've been trying to get rid of... $100 to your door.

They had a very smooth ride when I had the original set on the truck. (I replaced them with Rancho RSXs because I wanted a firmer ride, but turned in the old Sensa-Tracs under the lifetime warranty for a new set)

if i had the $$$ the rancho 9000's would be on my truck in a hearbeat. maybe one day. it doesn't get much better than choosing how u want it to ride.

gijoecam said:
I've got a set of Monroe Sensa-Tracs, brand new with all the hardware I've been trying to get rid of... $100 to your door.

They had a very smooth ride when I had the original set on the truck. (I replaced them with Rancho RSXs because I wanted a firmer ride, but turned in the old Sensa-Tracs under the lifetime warranty for a new set)

Thanks for such a generous offer gijoecam but presently I'm hard sold on those Ranchos RS9000Xs that Chris open my eyes to. The thought occurred that even though I love a smooth ride, having the ability to go firm if and when I need to is a handy capability. Likely though someone else will be interested.

Thanks

Look at the Edelbrock Performer IAS?

toypaseo said:
Look at the Edelbrock Performer IAS?

Yes, I looked it up... seems like a really great shock. It's self reacting, I believe? It determines when you need firm or smooth and gives it to you accordingly? I will definitely put it on my list. Only thing though, I would like to get a response from someone who owns a set them to find out how smooth the ride is and are they happy with how the shock reacts in determining when to go soft or firm.

Thanks good buddy.

Any update there on your choice?

Edelbrock IAS are not smooth riding...take my word for it. I have Monroe sensa tracs. I would have got the Rancho 9000s but not enough cash to throw at it. My shocks are good and I have 20" tires

On my Sport, I had Gabriel Gas shocks on when I bought it (I was never partial to Gabriel's as we had problems with them years ago...) and they had a great smooth and controllable ride until one rear blew out. I replaced with RS5000's as I used these on all my full size Bronco's and F150's and were very good on and off road.
I didn't like them on the Explorer though - at least on the short wheelbase 2door, they gave a VERY stiff "truck-like" ride. They may behave differently on a 4 door, but if you want smooth, stay away from them.

Just swapped out for 4-door leafs and installed Rancho RSX (17000, although it seems they dropped the number portion. They are the self-adjusting and are slotted in between the 5000 and 9000 series shocks.

The four door leafs do make things a bit stiffer and I feel some bumps a little more, but overall, a very smooth ride with the Ranchos. I like the Ranchos a bit better than my Monroe Sensa-Tracs.

Just swapped out for 4-door leafs and installed Rancho RSX (17000, although it seems they dropped the number portion. They are the self-adjusting and are slotted in between the 5000 and 9000 series shocks.

The four door leafs do make things a bit stiffer and I feel some bumps a little more, but overall, a very smooth ride with the Ranchos. I like the Ranchos a bit better than my Monroe Sensa-Tracs.

Not to burst your bubble, but the RSXs and the Sensa-Tracs are the same shock (except for the paint color and stickers). They're valved identically and made of the same materials and components. They last about the same legth of time too (i.e. not long enough IMHO).

I'll probably be going to Bilsteins for the next set. I just installed the SensaTracs (again) last fall, and they're already shot.

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to burst your bubble, but the RSXs and the Sensa-Tracs are the same shock (except for the paint color and stickers). They're valved identically and made of the same materials and components. They last about the same legth of time too (i.e. not long enough IMHO).

I'll probably be going to Bilsteins for the next set. I just installed the SensaTracs (again) last fall, and they're already shot.

-Joe

And why didn't you tell me this earlier?!?! JK of course. Well, I'm sure part of the difference I felt was from switching out worn shocks. Looks like I'll spring for the Bilsteins the next time i need shocks.

Back