• Register Today It's free!

Best gen Explorer??

RADIOACTIVE_TOOL_SHED___

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro north Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford explorer xlt
Ok so what's y'all's choice of a explorer there's now 6 generations of this SUV and I personally have a 1993 XLT and I consider the first and second gens to be the best generation For a number of things #1 ease of maintenance these older explorers aren't that hard to work on and have parts readily available making them great project vehicle's and the possibilities are nearly endless for them you could buy either a first or second gen for a solid daily driver a project vehicle a offroad rig a Jurassic park tour replica vehicle the fun that can be had with these trucks is hard to beat
#2 style I'm personally not into cute SUVS aka crossovers the 4th gen is the last body on frame explorer but even by then it lost it's big chrome bumpers and it just wasn't the same after the 2nd gen I wanna hear you guys opinion on the best generation of the Ford explorer!, Btw this fourm has been a huge help to me with my exploder!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never been in a non first gen, but I'm sure the later ones don't come with that "sense of community" that you get knowing your first gen key will open the door of about 25% of any other first gen encountered.
I've won bets.

Ok so what's y'all's choice of a explorer there's now 6 generations of this SUV and I personally have a 1993 XLT and I consider the first and second gens to be the best generation For a number of things #1 ease of maintenance these older explorers aren't that hard to work on and have parts readily available making them great project vehicle's and the possibilities are nearly endless for them you could buy either a first or second gen for a solid daily driver a project vehicle a offroad rig a Jurassic park tour replica vehicle the fun that can be had with these trucks is hard to beat
#2 style I'm personally not into cute SUVS aka crossovers the 4th gen is the last body on frame explorer but even by then it lost it's big chrome bumpers and it just wasn't the same after the 2nd gen I wanna hear you guys opinion on the best generation of the Ford explorer!, Btw this fourm has been a huge help to me with my exploder!!
As I recently got my only Explorer, (98 XLT) I can only add: To me a good vehicle is reliable, and as low tech as possible. I love luxury, but the more parts, the more fixing and expense. Having ROOM to access things under the hood is a good thing! For instance, my 82 Crown Vic was wonderful that way, but RWD and gas mileage (not bad for a V8) wasn't desired in this climate. The body on frame, and the ease of hauling furniture, as well as the 4x4 was key. I like the styling of the 2nd gen Explorer, the later ones with 'aggressive' styling remind me of Transformer toy cars, just my own taste here. I would consider a 3rd gen also, as they are supposed to be wider wheelbase. I could do without "PATS" entirely.

As I recently got my only Explorer, (98 XLT) I can only add: To me a good vehicle is reliable, and as low tech as possible. I love luxury, but the more parts, the more fixing and expense. Having ROOM to access things under the hood is a good thing! For instance, my 82 Crown Vic was wonderful that way, but RWD and gas mileage (not bad for a V8) wasn't desired in this climate. The body on frame, and the ease of hauling furniture, as well as the 4x4 was key. I like the styling of the 2nd gen Explorer, the later ones with 'aggressive' styling remind me of Transformer toy cars, just my own taste here. I would consider a 3rd gen also, as they are supposed to be wider wheelbase. I could do without "PATS" entirely.
PATS is rarely a problem. If you dislike it so much, remove it. 2nd gens are my favorite because I can’t handle any of the V6 anemic transmissions. The problem now is that parts are starting to become a problem.

When I shopped for one, I specifically looked for a 94 because the earlier years had r12 refrigerant in the a/c from factory and conversion is always an issue and the later years did not have a solid axle front end. When paired with manual locking hubs, the solid axle is unbeatable at doing anything requiring 4x4. I live on a mountain and when it snows, I can still get up the hill where my neighbor failed with his Jeep.

No Explorer has ever came with a solid axle front end.

I have owned 1st, 3rd and 4th gen models and I think the 2009-2010 models with the V8 engine are the best balance of reliability, function and options.These two years worked out some issues with previous 4th gen models and have the beefier 6R80 six speed transmission over the 6R60 found in the 2006-2008 V8s. Much of the frame and drive train in the 4th gens are from the F150 series of the same model years. The 4.6L 3V V8s have 292 hp and 315 ft-lbs of torque good for towing 7,000 lbs. I can get 22 mpg running 60-65 mph on the highway. They can be optioned fairly well or be spartan too depending on your preference. With good maintenance they can be made quite reliable. The 5th and 6th gens are not an option for me due to the lack of a V8 and the drive train and suspension being quite anemic for any off-road use. If you want to modify the suspension to a large extent to be more off-road capable then the 2nd gen with a V8 is the best choice, IMO. If your plan is to keep it close to stock then the 2009-2010 4th gen is what I would choose. They aren't easy to find through with lower miles on them.

I was just beginning to love my 08 Eddie Bauer edition when the timing jumped. She's still beautiful loaded and new tires, compressor rear hub etc. A well maintained vehicle but no matter how I enjoyed the comfort I'm told she's not worth the repair. I do know I'm not junking it for #475 with $600 dollar worth of tires on it lol. Does anyone think it's too risky to put in a new motor with vehicle mileage of 167,000? I've gotten crazy estimates in Virginia Beach area and feel lost without a plan at the moment.

If you are mechanical swapping in a long block is very feasible.

You could have someone come swap rims on it for a few hundred.

V6 or V8?

I was just beginning to love my 08 Eddie Bauer edition when the timing jumped. She's still beautiful loaded and new tires, compressor rear hub etc. A well maintained vehicle but no matter how I enjoyed the comfort I'm told she's not worth the repair. I do know I'm not junking it for #475 with $600 dollar worth of tires on it lol. Does anyone think it's too risky to put in a new motor with vehicle mileage of 167,000? I've gotten crazy estimates in Virginia Beach area and feel lost without a plan at the moment.
I am assuming you have a V6 model. The one thing that comes with the V6 is the 5R55 transmission which usually needs a rebuild to closer to 200k mile you get. If you are still on the original transmission then another major repair would likely be needed soon which would be replacing it. Adding both of these repairs together is about $5k-$6k if a shop is doing all the work. If you are doing the installations then it becomes easier to absorb the costs. The only way I would spend this money replacing the engine on a 167k mile vehicle would be if it is in excellent condition and lots of other repairs like wheel bearings, transmission etc. have been replaced recently.

However, if you really like the vehicle, and it is basically rust free and very well maintained, then go for it if you think an engine and/or transmission replacement will last you another 200k miles without major repairs. I plan to drive my 2010 until the wheels fall off because there just isn't anything newer these days from Ford to take its place as a decently off road capable 6-7 seat mid sized SUV with a V8 that can tow 7k lbs. If I do have to replace it then I doubt I will be driving a Ford at that point.

Had 1st, 2nd 4th and 5th Gen's. My Father-in-law, had a 3rd gen I drove quite a few times.

1st gen - suspension and body
2nd gen - interior and Obd2
3rd gen - not a fan of anything about these.
4th gen - even though very similar to 3rd, I like drivetrain reliability and exterior and interior of these. Feels smaller than a 3rd gen, even though it's the same.
5th gen- (pre-2016) good features, not as crazy about body. Has not aged well.
(2016+) - great mom mobile, and hi end features found on on lux cars. A lot for money. Good styling.

I have to say it's probably 2nd gen for me overall. Considering I have owned 5 of them over the years. But to be fair 2 were parts cars.

Never been in a non first gen, but I'm sure the later ones don't come with that "sense of community" that you get knowing your first gen key will open the door of about 25% of any other first gen encountered.
I've won bets.
Lol I have a key to a 1992 Ford Taurus and the key starts my explorer

Had 1st, 2nd 4th and 5th Gen's. My Father-in-law, had a 3rd gen I drove quite a few times.

1st gen - suspension and body
2nd gen - interior and Obd2
3rd gen - not a fan of anything about these.
4th gen - even though very similar to 3rd, I like drivetrain reliability and exterior and interior of these. Feels smaller than a 3rd gen, even though it's the same.
5th gen- (pre-2016) good features, not as crazy about body. Has not aged well.
(2016+) - great mom mobile, and hi end features found on on lux cars. A lot for money. Good styling.

I have to say it's probably 2nd gen for me overall. Considering I have owned 5 of them over the years. But to be fair 2 were parts cars.
How many miles are currently on it? Is the engine seized from it jumping time? If so I'd Mabey look into a rebuild

How many miles are currently on it? Is the engine seized from it jumping time? If so I'd Mabey look into a rebuild
It has 167k, it is the V6 4.0 and I found out that has multiple timing chains. WTH was ford thinking, I'm wishing it were a V8 5.0 for sure. My brother said they weren't made with the V8 and can't be changed over because it's a ranger frame. All I know is I'm so disappointed hearing the engine needs to be pulled for the repair. It looks like I will have to sell or part out my beautiful truck to buy something else. Is there anywhere special I should share it? It's sad to think of her sound everything chopped up because Ford used a less than cost effective engine. She's got 200k left in her easy with a good heart lol.

20210323_093258.jpg

20210322_105126.jpg

20210322_104656.jpg

20210322_105213.jpg

Drop a new long block in it and drive the wheels off it. The value now is low, the value after repair is good and you are not buying someone else's problems to replace it.

Want to swap a v8, just slap a 4.6 in it.

I like the 2nd gens the best for the old reliable V8 engine and transmission. The newer models have all the latest features, you have to decide what level of complication you want for servicing when it gets older. The later 6R80 transmission is the best so far, but it's not in the later models because it's a V8 only, and they stopped using the V8's in5th gens. That 6R80 trans will bolt onto the older V8's with some extra work, I figured about $5k for a 2nd gen SBF.

Drop a new long block in it and drive the wheels off it. The value now is low, the value after repair is good and you are not buying someone else's problems to replace it.
Absolutely, I like the idea of not buying someone's prob, what I'm most concerned about. That's why I was considering another engine. I'm pretty clueless about what can and can't be swapped out. What is the 4.6 and how do I know if the trans would work.

It has 167k, it is the V6 4.0 and I found out that has multiple timing chains. WTH was ford thinking, I'm wishing it were a V8 5.0 for sure. My brother said they weren't made with the V8 and can't be changed over because it's a ranger frame. All I know is I'm so disappointed hearing the engine needs to be pulled for the repair. It looks like I will have to sell or part out my beautiful truck to buy something else. Is there anywhere special I should share it? It's sad to think of her sound everything chopped up because Ford used a less than cost effective engine. She's got 200k left in her easy with a good heart lol.

View attachment 330324

View attachment 330325

View attachment 330326

View attachment 330327
You should be able to swap a 4.6 v8 not sure if it'll bolt up right and work right with the v6 transmission tho I'd do some research if it'll work or not it seems to be in very good shape honestly worth a new engine in my opinion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4.6 (like a 5.0 swap) is a complete deal. There’s no drop in V8 that’ll work with your transmission. You wouldn’t want to mate a v8 to the v6 transmission anyway.

It’s not a Ranger frame.

Back