Best halogen headlight bulbs, 9005 or 9011? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best halogen headlight bulbs, 9005 or 9011?

leon16

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Sorry for not coming here more often.
I'v been quite sick.

Looking for best light output halogen headlight bulbs replacement.
NOt interested LED or HID at the moment.

SYLVANIA SilverStar zXe or
Philips 9005 CrystalVision Ultra?

Or something else wit most light output?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sylvania Silverstar Ultra.

I'v been quite sick.

Trim the tabs on 9011's and use those. 9005's suck. Do a forum search.

Trim the tabs on 9011's and use those. 9005's suck. Do a forum search.

Could not agree more with the above. Here is the bulb https://www.amazon.com/Philips-9011...00480J5CW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 . Can get it cheaper from the auto store. Stay away from anything with a blue tint as it will actually degrade lumens more than your stock 9005 bulbs. This conversion should add about 20-40% extra lumens over the stock 9005 bulbs without creating hot spots or glare as the 9011 have the same optical qualities as the 9005 bulb. Extra lumens are only created from more precise placement of the filament.

Here is a write-up from a guy that did it on his Subaru. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-exterior/227770-sunday-mod-diy-hir-9011-9005-bulb-conversion.html

Count me in on the 9011 bulbs as well. I recently did this on our 17 Ex. It is a noticeable upgrade and no hotspots. The hardest part was changing the bulbs for I had a tough time getting my hands in there. The trimming of the bulb base is quite simple.

I'v been quite sick.

Welcome back and hope you're feeling better.
There are several threads on non HID/LED bulbs including the Sylvania bulbs and other Philips bulbs that you can find using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature. Using the 9011 bulb has also been discussed.
Please add the trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it always shows in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times for members replying to your posts. Thanks.

Peter

why do the 9011 do a better job than the 9005?

have a 2017 limited that I am interested in changing the halogen to LED for cosmetic purposes & read several suggestions to move to the 9011.....and wondered why

The HIR 9011 bulb (halogen infrared) is a more efficient halogen bulb. In essence, it recaptures the heat for more light. The 9011 is rated around 2500 lumens vs the 1700 for the 9005. Here is a more detailed write up.

http://store.candlepower.com/9011hir.html

I like my SilverStars, not sure which model # I have though.

I Inherited my dad's 2014 Explorer and just ordered some 9011's from amazon.com:
Philips, 9011 HIR, 65 watt, Made in Germany.

If you have a 2011+ Explorer with standard Halogen bulb headlights, I highly recommend switching to the 9011 bulbs. they have the same wattage, but since 9005's have 1875 Illumination output, where the 9011 has 2750 Illumination output. the difference is much noticeable. make sure it's an HIR stamped bulb. I read the reviews on various manufacturers of these bulbs and most people favored the standard Philips brand HIR 9011's that are made in Germany.
I have not used them at night yet, but i did notice a major difference just having them on in my garage.
there is a slight modification to the top tab of the bulb (just needs to be slightly clipped or dremeled away. I used a finger nail clipper. other that that, they are a direct fit.)
So, if you have the dreaded "halogens" upgrade to the HIR 9011 bulbs.

Count me in on the 9011 bulbs as well. I recently did this on our 17 Ex. It is a noticeable upgrade and no hotspots. The hardest part was changing the bulbs for I had a tough time getting my hands in there. The trimming of the bulb base is quite simple.
My concern is trimming the bulb. I saw the page and the measurements seem tiny.:(

Just take the old (9005) bulb and compare it to the 9011 bulb. then trim the top tab to match the 9005.
simple. takes about 10 seconds.

Last night, I tried out the new bulbs. Amazing! more brighter, more "Close up" light, but still the same length and pattern as stock halogens. 5 star Rating from me.

Careful what bulbs you are buying-from Ford site re 2017 Limited:
  • Headlamps – Autolamp Auto On/Off, LED Low Beams, Halogen Reflector High Beams
  • LED Signature Lighting
  • LED taillamps
The ZXEs seem brighter as they are whiter light-but 15ft in front of the car and it all goes to grey white or grey yellow and you still cant see well enough.
(any will look great against your garage door, dont use that as a test)

Any pics you see showing bright white light from 9011s is a trick of the lens.
The area of the pic where the light falls is overexposed due to its night, in reality its nothing like that Subaru forum pic.

9011 are barely any better-but certainly way cheaper than ZXEs, which are ridiculous.

9011 tab trim is easy-it doesnt need to be dead on, just use the same proportion as you see in the pics. Its about a 3rd of the tab.
Nail clippers work well-clip a tiny amount until you clip enough, no need to try it in 1 shot.
If you trim it too small, no problem.

The lumen output for any 9005 is poor already, & the projectors on the Ex are horrible.
Together you have the nicest looking but most useless OEM headlights.
Piss poor no matter what you do with Halogen in this projector.

Remember: as of this posting, The only manufacturer currently making and selling true authentic HIR 9011 bulbs is Philips. Don't be fooled by any other brand "Claiming" they are HIR 9011's. One way to do this, is read reviews. 98% of them are 4-5 star and favorable. the 2% that say "No difference than the 9005's, or "disappointed" are from people who purchased knock offs.
If it's not a Philips, and doesn't say HIR 9011 made in Germany on the base of the bulb, it is a fake.

I just got a 2017 Explorer base model, the high beams are worthless. Regular lights are the bright, almost xenon light looking, not sure what they really are. I might try this to make my highbeams more useful.

I believe the '17's all have LED's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

from Ford site re 2017 Limited
  • Headlamps – Autolamp Auto On/Off, LED Low Beams, Halogen Reflector High Beams
  • LED Signature Lighting
  • LED taillamps
  • pkg 300a/301a/303a = Auto high-beam headlamps

Back