Best halogen headlight bulbs, 9005 or 9011? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best halogen headlight bulbs, 9005 or 9011?

The 9011 HIR's provide a more wider beam of light Vs the 9005's.
to not get these because your afraid to clip a tiny portion of a plastic tab to make them fit, is a terrible excuse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 9011 HIR's provide a more wider beam of light Vs the 9005's.
to not get these because your afraid to clip a tiny portion of a plastic tab to make them fit, is a terrible excuse.

Yep, took me all of 5 minutes to clip that little bit off the top tab off each bulb.

OK, you guys convinced me to check out the 9011's. Am I correct in saying I should only get the Phillips HIR ones?

I wonder if they make these for my 05 Taurus too. I put an HID kit in it a few years back and have not been happy with the pattern it throws - very scattered and the high beam is completely useless (its the kind of HID that extends and retracts for HI/LO beam).

OK, you guys convinced me to check out the 9011's. Am I correct in saying I should only get the Phillips HIR ones?

I wonder if they make these for my 05 Taurus too. I put an HID kit in it a few years back and have not been happy with the pattern it throws - very scattered and the high beam is completely useless (its the kind of HID that extends and retracts for HI/LO beam).
Yes, "Philips 9011 HIR Made In Germany"
Your Taurus has 9007 bulbs, which do not come in a HIR design. Only 9011 and 9012 are HIR.

Just take the old (9005) bulb and compare it to the 9011 bulb. then trim the top tab to match the 9005.
simple. takes about 10 seconds.

I'm struggling a little bit with this thread in that if the 9011 bulb is so much better then why doesn't Phillips trim that tab themselves fill a market niche for brighter and better 9005 bulbs? It appears that the watts, 65, are the same for the 9005 and 9011 bulbs, but there seems to be a voltage difference, 12.8 volts for the 9005 bulbs by Sylvania and 12 volts for 9011 bulbs by Phillips.

Because if they trimmed the tab, then 9011's would not fit into housing normally using 9011 bulbs.
Do some research, check the Internet. Google. That's what I did.

Because if they trimmed the tab, then 9011's would not fit into housing normally using 9011 bulbs.
Do some research, check the Internet. Google. That's what I did.

Phillips does make a 9005 bulb: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-9011-Standard-Replacement-Headlight/dp/B019QIU0TC?th=1

Phillips 9011 bulb: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-9011..._cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8#customerReviews

So, I'll resort to math: Amps = Watts/Volts

In the case of the 9011 bulbs: 65/12 = 5.42 amps

In the case of the 9005 bulbs: 65/12.8 = 5.07 amps

The 9011 bulbs run 5.42 amperes, while the 9005 run with less current at 5.07 amperes. The 9011 bulbs, like the SilverStar Ultras probably have a much shorter life than the Phillip's 9005 bulbs. The SilverStar bulbs are also 12.8 volts and would run on the same current as the Phillip's 9005 bulb. So, if the life and brightness of the Phillip's 9011 bulb are similar the to the SilverStar 9005 bulb, I would rather use SilverStar's that run on the OEM recommended electrical current.

The 9011 is superior and well worth the upgrade. It's lifespan is better than the 9005, though I'm having a tough time finding a source. This was a topic I heavily researched back in the day. I'm running the Phillips 9011 in my 2010 accord low beams now for 7 years. Still the same set of bulbs I purchased in 2010.

I'm not to worried about how long a dedicated high beam will last. I will however enjoy the extra 1000 lumens the 9011 has over the 9005.

Phillips does make a 9005 bulb: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-9011-Standard-Replacement-Headlight/dp/B019QIU0TC?th=1

Phillips 9011 bulb: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-9011..._cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8#customerReviews

So, I'll resort to math: Amps = Watts/Volts

In the case of the 9011 bulbs: 65/12 = 5.42 amps

In the case of the 9005 bulbs: 65/12.8 = 5.07 amps

The 9011 bulbs run 5.42 amperes, while the 9005 run with less current at 5.07 amperes. The 9011 bulbs, like the SilverStar Ultras probably have a much shorter life than the Phillip's 9005 bulbs. The SilverStar bulbs are also 12.8 volts and would run on the same current as the Phillip's 9005 bulb. So, if the life and brightness of the Phillip's 9011 bulb are similar the to the SilverStar 9005 bulb, I would rather use SilverStar's that run on the OEM recommended electrical current.

The brightness or lumens of a Silverstar is the same as any other 9005 bulb, its just slightly whiter than a non tinted bulb. There is 500 more lumens per bulb with a 9011 HIR than a standard 9005.

The brightness or lumens of a Silverstar is the same as any other 9005 bulb, its just slightly whiter than a non tinted bulb. There is 500 more lumens per bulb with a 9011 HIR than a standard 9005.
If it's an extra 500 lumens a 9011 produces then you really aren't getting an extra 1000. It is still only 500.;)

How is it not 1000 lumens extra? 500 more lumens per bulb @ 2 bulbs is an extra 1000 lumens.........Go into a totally dark room with 2 flashlights, then turn on one. Now, turn on the second flashlight, should be more light in the room now. Same concept.

Here is what I also know. After installing the 9011 HIR into the highbeams, I asked my wife to tell me if she noticed a difference when she used them. The first time she came home after driving in the dark, she told me they were much brighter than before. Thats good enough for me!

Welcome to the 9011 HIR club, Summers22!

Thanks! I think they are a big improvement. Another big improvement was installing LED's into the fog housings on my 2016. I used a special style that I have on my 2007 F150.

How is it not 1000 lumens extra? 500 more lumens per bulb @ 2 bulbs is an extra 1000 lumens.........Go into a totally dark room with 2 flashlights, then turn on one. Now, turn on the second flashlight, should be more light in the room now. Same concept.
The only reason you are getting more light in the room is because the second flashlight is lighting up a different area. The light output (lumens) remains the same.

Peter

So 2 bulbs are not brighter than 1? Interesting...........

So 2 bulbs are not brighter than 1? Interesting...........
No, their light output is the same assuming the bulbs are rated identically. As I mentioned in my post, they may light up the room more but that does not increase their output. That's not possible. If you were able to get the 2 light sources close enough together and aim them at the same spot, the room would not be any brighter than if you used 1 source. The only way in that scenario that there would be more light would be if one of the sources had a higher output rating (lumens). I think you're confusing light dispersion with output.

"They may light up the room more" that means its brighter in the room. I'm done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back