• Register Today It's free!

best lift

Yeeehaw86

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLS
i need some advice from people that have installed, and used some different lifts. i already have done the usual, (tt, shackles, bl), but now I'm finding myself in need of a suspension lift. I've looked at the superlift, but i don't like the limited ground clearance, because it still uses torsion bar suspension. I've also looked at going sas, but that's too much down time, custom work, and money. Recently I've been leaning towards an IFS long-travel kit such as those made by RCD or Dixon-Bros. Does anyone have any experience with these? I need a lift that will be able to handle going over some rocks, and hopefully not be WAY too complicated that I can't install it with a little help. Any info and or pics you may have will help tremendously. Thanks in advance, Martin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have any experience with the RCD or Dixon lifts but they run about $2500-3000 which is $1000 more than the Superlift.

And remember taller tires are the best way to gain ground clearence.
Without the torsion bars your a-arms are the lowest part of the suspension & no amount of suspensipn lift will gain any additional ground clearence.

very true about the clearance, it just seems pretty easy to come down off of something and land right on the torsion bars. i figure if i'm going to lift it more, I might as well do it as best i can. If money were not an option, what would you do? I know there are people on this website that have lifts other than superlifts. please add on. thanks

Yeeehaw86 said:
If money were not an option, what would you do?
SAS:

1600Jefe_Flex.jpg

the rcd is gunna have almost the same ground clearance under the front differential as the 4" superlift because both are drop bracket kits, but then again if u clear the front diff (over a rock or whatever) you wont have to worry about the torsion bars. The dixon bros kit isnt going to provide a huge amount of ground clearance but insane travel and width. Heres a link to the dixon bros kit on a ranger

http://dezertrangers.com/cgi-bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=42634

of the IFS lifts the dixon bros kit is by far the best performer, however if you are serious about using this rig on trails I would skip all of these and go with a solid axle conversion....

if you plan on doing serious off roading do the SAS since you can lift as high as you want or do what i did i bought a 4" suspension lift by superlft with 33's. i do mild off roading not crazy stuff like everyone else does lol. plus it shows very nicely my build cost was $1800 for lift $400 for front drive shaft +$750 for 33's +$500 for someone to do it cuz i did not have all the tools at the time. here are a few pix:

795936_91_full.jpg

795936_74_full.jpg

795936_99_full.jpg

i've done a little research on going sas, but can't find anyone that'll tell me how much they spent to do it. whats the average price for going sas? and is there anyone in VA that could do it? I do not have the ability to do that myself. thanks for all above input.

$400 for a driveshaft? Holey moley I am in the wrong business! the local shop I use charges me $125 or so , this is to lenthen/shorten as the case may be, replace all u joints and last time it included an all new CV assembly..

the solid axle swap question is a loaded one as Froader pointed out....too many variables, but I know a certain built high pinion dana 44 I have my eye on has $2500 just in the axle alone (gears, ARB locker, new shafts, brakes, ball joints, etc)

anyone in va up for a big project? lol. time for me to start eading some other threads about sas. thanks for the input.

if you plan on doing serious off roading do the SAS since you can lift as high as you want or do what i did i bought a 4" suspension lift by superlft with 33's. i do mild off roading not crazy stuff like everyone else does lol. plus it shows very nicely my build cost was $1800 for lift $400 for front drive shaft +$750 for 33's +$500 for someone to do it cuz i did not have all the tools at the time. here are a few pix:

795936_91_full.jpg

795936_74_full.jpg

795936_99_full.jpg

what superlift kit did you buy? I can't find one for the explorer sport

1996-2001 kits will fit your 2002 sport.

Back