Best Michelin Tire For 2004 Limited 2WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Michelin Tire For 2004 Limited 2WD

MikeTEC

Reaction score
City, State
Central Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L
I am planning on replacing the tires on our new to us 2004 Mountaineer Limited 2WD 4.6L, 3.73 axle and towing package. It has 245/65/17 tires. Mostly the wife and I will use the vehicle on the road and it will probably never see off road. Light towing perhaps.

Over the years, I have used several sets of Michelin LTX/MS tires on our other Explorers with outstanding results and was wondering what has been the experience of others with this 3rd generation Explorer and the Michelin LTX/MS? I have used the same tire in "E" rating on our 2002 Diesel truck with sucess also.

Discount Tire lists three other Michelin tires for this model of Explorer and since I have been out of the loop for a while, I am wondering how these tires are holding up compared to the LTX/MS? Is one of them head and shoulders better in terms of comfort and quiet ride?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We are currently running the LTX M/S on our '04 4x4. Very pleased with this tire on our Explorer!! I should have put it on my Sport Trac, and will next time.

I have the LTX MS on my wife's Sport Trac and they are really good tires. I also like the Cross Terrains also. I would have put the LTX's on my Explorer but they did not come in raised white letters so I put on General Grabber HTS and I love that tire.

I had originally thought Michelin had discontinued the LTX/MS and replaced it with the LTX/MS2, but apparently it is still available in my size.

Since there has been other Michelin SUV/Truck tires brought out by Michelin over the past four or five years in my size, I just thought one of them might have trumped the time proven LTX/MS tire and tread design for highway driving, traction and ride comfort.

Keep your thoughts coming and recommendations coming. All are appreciated since I will be spending a good amount on Michelins in the next week or so.

Mike

i've had 3 set with two sets running right now. Note i live in snow country . . which plays a factor in my choices.

'04 Ex, LTX A/T2, excellent snow traction, great in dirt, rain, etc, some noise, at 50k 50% tread left using 5 tire rotation.
'96 heep, LTX M/S - nice, soft, great rain tire, highway etc, ok in heavy snow. Had LTX A/T prior, over 70k on them and still tread left; great in snow, dirt, rain, less so mud.

There are also Cross Terrains (or was), which people seem to like too. They seem like a combined M/S and A/T crossover?

also to note:
'10 ST - Firestone LE - not bad, great ride, little noisy, great in rain, untested in snow, might be a cheaper alternative?

I had originally thought Michelin had discontinued the LTX/MS and replaced it with the LTX/MS2, but apparently it is still available in my size.

Since there has been other Michelin SUV/Truck tires brought out by Michelin over the past four or five years in my size, I just thought one of them might have trumped the time proven LTX/MS tire and tread design for highway driving, traction and ride comfort.

Keep your thoughts coming and recommendations coming. All are appreciated since I will be spending a good amount on Michelins in the next week or so.

Mike

You might be thinking of the AT's which now are the AT2's

Anyone ever used the Latitude Tour tire or the Latitude Tour HP?

Guess I will settle on the LTX/MS tire since I have had so much good luck with it on other vehicles I own. Hard to beat proven success. Thanks for all the help.

I'm way past the date on this thread but I wanted to updated it based on the Latitude Tour HP question.

I have Tour HP's on my 07 right now and it rides extremely smooth. I've kept the tires rotated and 3/4 wore evenly while 1 wore a little faster. Got full life ~55k out of them - will be swapping for A\T here in the next couple months.

Have 20k on latitude tours and am pretty happy with them. Good winter traction and they are wearing very even.

i thought tires were tires until I was given set a of Michelins. Now It's Michelins or nothing. I run the m/s 2s. Awesome tire.

i thought tires were tires until I was given set a of Michelins. Now It's Michelins or nothing. I run the m/s 2s. Awesome tire.
x2 - Michelins are what I run on my bus and my Civic.

Back