• Register Today It's free!

Best mileage Highway/city

zecolleman

Reaction score
City, State
Skagströnd ICELAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limited
I am having a bit of proplem geting my milage up in the city. So I was wonduring if you would post Year/Engine/Mileage and Highway/city Your BEST mileage you have get on your car..

Ok So I have

Year 2004
Engine 4.6 v8
Mileage 60000
BEST High way 21 MPG
BEST City 6.6 MPG (small Town)

I am very concerned about City it I thing that is way to much

It would be nice to see yours experience on that..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Participate

come on guys. what what is your best mileage on your x ???

I have a 2004 with the 4.6, 4-wheel drive and about 65000 miles. I get 20 MPG highway and normally see 10 MPG strictly city, not driving conservatively.

In the winter with the temps below freezing the MPG will drop about 2-3 MPG. We have 10 % ethanol gas which is 'modified' in the winter which probably accounts for some of the MPG drop.

I too have wondered about the poor city MPG...

i have a 1998 with a 5.0 L. i have a tune and air intake. but i also have 33" tires. i get about 10 city and 14 highway. it sucks!

'97 sohc, Last trip from chicago to VA, through mountains, I got 24. Around city, I get about 16. I've gotten it up to 28 driving 50 on interstate pissing people off.

City would be a concern . ..Iceland might change things, Temps?
How long is the City Commute?

What i'm getting:
Hwy 20-18mpg ~70mph, 16-17mpg Towing Boat at 1k lbs, Roof Rack Cargo Box
City 13-15mpg Mix Summer 25mile commute
City 10mpg Winter 2mile commute (truck never warmed up enough)

2002 limited v8 4.6l

hwy=23-25mpg
around town=17-18mpg
My K&N intake came today so those numbers should change slightly so should be even better!

I get better gas mileage than 6cyl X's :)

97 4.0 sohc V6

with 33's i get about 14/15 in city/average and 20/22 on hwy cruises

City would be a concern . ..Iceland might change things, Temps?
How long is the City Commute?

What i'm getting:
Hwy 20-18mpg ~70mph, 16-17mpg Towing Boat at 1k lbs, Roof Rack Cargo Box
City 13-15mpg Mix Summer 25mile commute
City 10mpg Winter 2mile commute (truck never warmed up enough)

It is not coold here in Iceland now. And my frinds x V6 is here at the same town and is getting much better city mpg but I am going to take tour with him to see for my self. I am not sur what you meen with commute but the normal tour here in town is mabe 1-2 miles...

Block heater

Talking about cold. have anyone instal block heater in there x ? I can´t find it anywhere.

I am not sur what you meen with commute but the normal tour here in town is mabe 1-2 miles...

That could do it, a commute is how far the truck is driven before turning it off.

When the truck warms up to 195F it can achieve something called 'Closed Loop' where the ECU looks at the O2 sensors and adjust the air/fuel ratio for the maximum fuel economy. Before closed looks it essentially dumps far more fuel to keep it running till it achieves the operating temp 195F.

However 6mpg seems a tad low, check for vacuum leaks? have you change the spark plugs recently? Cleaned the MAF?

If you have the trip computer reset it and take it for a 25mile city drive, stay off the gas, keep the RPM's about 2,000 and see what you get.

That could do it, a commute is how far the truck is driven before turning it off.

When the truck warms up to 195F it can achieve something called 'Closed Loop' where the ECU looks at the O2 sensors and adjust the air/fuel ratio for the maximum fuel economy. Before closed looks it essentially dumps far more fuel to keep it running till it achieves the operating temp 195F.

However 6mpg seems a tad low, check for vacuum leaks? have you change the spark plugs recently? Cleaned the MAF?

If you have the trip computer reset it and take it for a 25mile city drive, stay off the gas, keep the RPM's about 2,000 and see what you get.

Yes spark plug new, fuel filter new,air filter new. I will clean the MAF sensor and the Thruttle body next week. yes and check for leak. I am going to the city soon to instal 2 din dvd player and then I will reset the trip computer when I come to the city. And thanks for good respond. And I am going to take my friends V6 for ride in my town monday and try to drive short distance like I do in my car and see what I get. I will post the result...

1994 Eddie Bauer 307,000 miles. (Original engine and tranny)

Best MPG - City 18, Hwy 23+

In the right direction :)

ok back from the sea and chance the air fillter it was probably not new like the pre owner said. Chance to True Flow air fillter and unplug the battery for ten minutes..Have driven it 15 millage as well as I can here in town and computer shows 12,5 mpg so I am very glad, much better then my 6-7 mpg. Do someone here have any experience with True Flow air filter? It is oil-bath filter http://www.car-stuff.com/trueflowairfilter.htm ???Tomorow I will clean the MAF sensor snd add Bell-add http://www.belladd.dk/eng/home.asp?Poor performance / fuel economy=&ContentID=153 to the tuel. Hopfully it will do somthing extra...

2002 4x4 XLT 8cyl.
148,000 miles.
Original engine.

Best Hwy was this summer, 24 mpg!
I am afraid to run the numbers for city. :rolleyes:

4.0 all stock except for airbox mod
99k miles
15 city
17-19 highway

2002 XLT 137000

15 city 20 highway usally 18 combined

4.0 btw

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 V8

22 Highway (just got this last weekend)
12-15 city

Back