Best new power steering pump choice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best new power steering pump choice

fabianoliver

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montevideo - Uruguay
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hello all.
I'm a new 1st gen owner, veeeeery happy one.
Yesterday, it becomes mine, and it slepts at home for the fist time.
Ok, one of the things i need to ddress is the steering pump, it's noisy, anoying....
So i want to buy a new one, do you have any suggestion?
I've seen reconditioning motorcrafts ones for 140$, remanufactured A1 Cardone's for 110$, and another ones ( china?) at 70.
Anyone has a suggestion?, i would like to buy a quiet, and good one.
Thanks for your opinions!!!!

Fabian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all.
Ok, one of the things i need to ddress is the steering pump, it's noisy, anoying....
I've seen reconditioning motorcrafts ones for 140$, remanufactured A1 Cardone's for 110$, and another ones ( china?) at 70.

Fabian
I have seen the wrong fluid make a power steering pump on a 2009 import wine with bad fluid but yeah maybe if it's really loud it might need replaced.

I’d flush the power steering fluid with Mercon V. It quieted the pump in my 96 down significantly.

Do the first gens have the small power steering cooler? I’ve flushed them using that on the 96, and also the Turkey baster method of sucking the reservoir dry, and replacing fluid weekly for a month.

Be warned. If you get any air in the system you need to purge it by cycling the wheel from lock to lock several times. Otherwise, you’ll get a death wobble at higher speed.

That’s how early 90s Ford truck steering pumps are, noisy. A reman pump will probably not be very much quieter than what you have. I think it’s just in the design of the system.
You could look for AGR or Saginaw brand pumps.

imo for pump saginaw where it at imo. havent heard anything negative about them. @BKennedy has one iirc

They are noisy. You can flush thr fluid, and try a synthetic fluid. A lot of the noise is also because people don't use Ford Type F transmission fluid, which is what Ford says to use.

I did a conversion to a 2006 Jeep Liberty pump. Much more power and silent. Not sure how much modification or vehicle experience you have.

They are noisy. You can flush thr fluid, and try a synthetic fluid. A lot of the noise is also because people don't use Ford Type F transmission fluid, which is what Ford says to use.

I did a conversion to a 2006 Jeep Liberty pump. Much more power and silent. Not sure how much modification or vehicle experience you have.
Thanks Kennedy, i'll try the syntetic fluid first. I guess as i have not too much time until december, but needs to drive, i'll end with a simple solution, i am a DIY, but never done mods, just swaps..

Hello again all.
impossible to fing type F in my country....even customs doesn't allows to bring from overseas ( i was decided to buy a bottle in the US).
So, what's the best type of oil if i cannoy use typeF?
Any brand?, and "model?"

thanks all!!

Hi BKennedy thanks for your reply, no luck… nor in Argentina, Brasil or here is available….

Use a Mercon/Dextron 3 if that’s all you can get. I’ve used Mercon V without issue. You can also use any quality synthetic power steering fluid.

The fluid for these isn’t critical like it is in the transmission or transfer cases.

For noise reduction, it seems the fluids I have used are unavailable in your area. Like Brooks said, any decent synthetic PS fluid should work.

For noise reduction, it seems the fluids I have used are unavailable in your area. Like Brooks said, any decent synthetic PS fluid should work.
Thanks for your answers, i've found Valvoline Atf, Mercon V
I'll give it a try.
Customs, doesn't allows to bring a bottle of Oil....so i need to buy here....grrrrrrrrrrr

Hello all.

Fabian
Hello all.

Fabian
I bought a Cardonne from Rock Auto and have we been real happy with it. Very quiet.
I replaced the hoses steering box and pump all at the same time. Fixed the loose goosey steering and the noise.
John

I bought a Cardonne from Rock Auto and have we been real happy with it. Very quiet.
I replaced the hoses steering box and pump all at the same time. Fixed the loose goosey steering and the noise.
John
Hi jjpsalm, thanks for your answer.
How was your “gooses steering”?. My steering has no “loose points”, it’s just reaaaly soft when I drive at 50mph and more. I like it a low speeds, very light. But at high speeds I find it too mutch.
That is normal?
Is my first X so no comparison points

I’ve flushed them using that on the 96, and also the Turkey baster method of sucking the reservoir dry, and replacing fluid weekly for a month.

Hi, finally i've bought an Edelmann 6016R at rockauto.
It's dead quiet.
The felling of the truck has changed, the steering is light and smooth.
I changed the inyectors, sparks, and sparks cables, so i'm discovering now, how a 1st gen in good shape feels.
Nice
Thanks all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, finally i've bought an Edelmann 6016R at rockauto.
It's dead quiet.
The felling of the truck has changed, the steering is light and smooth.
I changed the inyectors, sparks, and sparks cables, so i'm discovering now, how a 1st gen in good shape feels.
Nice
Thanks all!

If you ever need type F shipped in from the states, shoot me a message and we will figure something out.

Back