• Register Today It's free!

Best Oil pan Gasket

KingstonX

Reaction score
City, State
Alta Loma CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie
Hello everyone. I have installed my rebuilt engine and have put 3k miles on it. So in the last 500 miles my oil pan has started to leak in the rear next to the rear main seal in the corner of the oil pan. Ill put some pics on it up here for you guys to see. Anyways my question is, what oil pan gaskets have you used and had good luck with them. I dont understand what i could have done wrong. I used the Fel-pro PermaDry One-Piece molded rubber gasket with torque limiters. I cleaned all surfaces and set the gasket in place perfect. Torque it all down to what the book says and it has started to leak :( I didnt use any rtv because the gasket said not to.
So in 1-2 weeks ill be pulling my engine again. Along with fixing the oil pan gasket ill be installing some 1.6 roller rocker arms. Intake spacer. TM headers. Bigger valve cover etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure how it could have. I like fel pro and have had good luck with them. I'll take it apart and see if something is wrong. But I don't see how there could be something wrong. Should I try using rtv where the gasket lip goes into the rear main seal?

Which engine?

According to my Haynes Repair Manual if you have the OHV V6 at the rear you should apply thin beads of sealant to the outside edges of the gasket mating surface and also to the crankshaft rear oil seal corners. At the front you should apply beads of sealant to the corners of the front seal cover and at the seams where the timing chain cover meets the engine block.

When installing valve covers did you use load spreaders?

When I built my engine for the Sport I didn't use them because the engine did not have them...And I started getting an oil leak...

I too thought the oil pan gasket was leaking or maybe the oil filter mounting adapter...I even changed the adapter gasket 3 times...

Guess what fixed it? Dealership bought load spreaders under each valve cover bolt...

Is the oil pan gasket the metal and blue neoprene sandwiched piece? That is what I used and it has not leaked a drop of oil...I would really check the head and the block above the leak area to see if there is oil there...If there is the leak is coming from above that spot...

Back