Best oil pump for 2001 4.0 SOHC??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best oil pump for 2001 4.0 SOHC???

ETHACK

Reaction score
City, State
nv
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 X SOHC 4x4
Replacing motor in ol truck and not sure on what oil pump to get, OE a high volume melling, or regular ??? If Melling which one? Parts house says M68A, Amazon says not, so??? Also do I need to get a melling pick up tube and screen or will OE work??? Not a mechanic and all advice is great, this site is awesome and everybody on here has been so helpful it's really appreciated TIA everybody!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paging @koda2000 he is doing this job now

I'd say both are a great option the milling with the all metal pickup tube would be my choice

I'd say both are a great option the milling with the all metal pickup tube would be my choice
Thats what I was thinking definitely metal, also will most likely put in a pre oiler, so not sure on the HV pump, as not sure how or if there would be any backflow internally at the smaller chambers, and if so how that would/could effect long term. You know alot of stuff and I really TY for all your input, I know alot of ppl don't take the time unless it's to criticize so again TY.

I typically use Melling pumps.

Thats what I was thinking definitely metal, also will most likely put in a pre oiler, so not sure on the HV pump, as not sure how or if there would be any backflow internally at the smaller chambers, and if so how that would/could effect long term. You know alot of stuff and I really TY for all your input, I know alot of ppl don't take the time unless it's to criticize so again TY.
I use a pre oiler with the milling pump and screen
Been going for 3 years that way now

The OEM oil pump is very good, fine for any mild engine build. Don't ever use a high volume pump unless you truly need it, which means very high rpm, bigger pan capacity and baffling, plus bearing clearances made for the higher volume. Skip high volume, it's much harder on the pump drive shaft also, will twist the stock shaft easily.

Melling makes great oil pumps, but they make so many, some may be larger in housing size, require special pickup etc. I'd hunt a replacement part that takes the original pickup.

I installed a new OEM pump in my 99 SOHC, in 2006. The old one had 77,450 miles on it, now a spare stored in the pump box, they're good pumps.

The OEM oil pump is very good, fine for any mild engine build. Don't ever use a high volume pump unless you truly need it, which means very high rpm, bigger pan capacity and baffling, plus bearing clearances made for the higher volume. Skip high volume, it's much harder on the pump drive shaft also, will twist the stock shaft easily.

Melling makes great oil pumps, but they make so many, some may be larger in housing size, require special pickup etc. I'd hunt a replacement part that takes the original pickup.

I installed a new OEM pump in my 99 SOHC, in 2006. The old one had 77,450 miles on it, now a spare stored in the pump box, they're good pumps.
TY!!! Thats what I was wondering exactly about the HV pump, thanks for the clarity, OEM pump and pre-oiler is way I'm leaning towards, oiler after motor is back in and on the road again.

I just hate the plastic pickup they are known to crack

Vs

IMG_20180621_221726.jpg

I don't recall my 99 having a plastic pickup, which would bother me also. what I said applies to many engines, aftermarket pumps can be larger and require odd pickups. My Melling standard oil pump interfered with the metal oil pan, and even the aluminum spare I had. The cover bolt heads were slightly deeper than stock bolts.

Back