Best option for better driving lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best option for better driving lights?

Curse The Sky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4WD
I love my Sport Trac, but one of my major complaints is that the headlights - primarily the high beams - aren't very bright. They're sufficient, but I wish I could see better in the distance.

What are my options? So far I've come up with the following:
  • Running a relay directly from the battery to the headlights and controlling the relay with the stock headlight switch
  • HID retrofit
  • Bull bar + auxiliary lights

Right now I'm leaning towards the bull bar with some kind of auxiliary lights, controlled by an aftermarket switch somewhere inside the cab. The downside is that they would need to be manually controlled. The upside is that I'd have lights to fall back on if something happened to one or both of the main headlights.

Thanks. :)

If I go that route, what do you guys recommend for lights? Would they be a good compliment to the stock high beams, or really not enough to make a difference? Finally, does the bull bar interfere with any other common mods, such as billet grills (lower grill)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bar only causes an issue if you do a body lift. I fixed that issue, though. I like the bull bar and lights mod because it knocks out two birds with one stone. More light and a more aggressive look. Similar in price to the other mods, also.

That sounds like the way I want to go then. I'm not really considering doing a body left, ever.

What lights should I look into for distance illumination? Again, looking for something better than the current high beams. Also, any other considerations that I need to make? Bigger alternator, etc.

I can only speak for the PIAA 520 SMRs since they're the only auxiliary lights I've ever had. I think they're great, though.

Can you not wire the auxiliary lights with a relay connected to the headlights? So when you turn on the high beams the auxiliary lights turn on, but also wire in a switch to turn them on manually on as well?

Shouldn't be difficult, just a lot of wiring. I could draw up a schematic easily enough that'd work.

I just wired mine into the high beams. I figured I would only have those lights on if I needed a lot of light. If I need a lot of light, I might as well go ahead and have the high beams on as well.

I have my PIAA 520s and light bar both connected to relays and the 2nd aux driving light switch.

CIMG0022.jpg

By the way, if you wire the second driving light switch the same way as the first, tapping into that first switch's power, then the lights are only able to power on when the headlights are on as well. Or you can wire it separately, depending on your preference/need.

Ok, seems like this is the way to go.

It seems a bit more expensive that I had hoped, though. ~$180 for the bull bar, $40 for the mounting hardware, $25 for the license plate bracket (front plate required in CT), and $240ish for the lights and wires. Ouch.

The bull bar you are looking at doesn't come with the hardware?:scratch:

You don't have to spend nearly that much on lights. PIAAs are priced high, probably overpriced. Check what your local auto parts place has in stock. Even if you have to replace them a few times over many years, you'll probably come out ahead money-wise.

Back