• Register Today It's free!

Best Place for OEM Wheels

stevesmith1328

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford XLT Silver
We are waiting to take delivery of a 2016 Limited that has already been built. We ordered it with the standard painted 20" wheels and now the wife is telling me she thinks the polished 20" wheels might have been better looking. We are going to wait to take delivery and see what she thinks, but in the event she wants the polished ones where is the best and cheaper location I might get these?

I called the dealership parts department today just to see what they would run and they told me $1250 a wheel and that's not even mounting them. Needless to say I wish this would have been brought up when we had a chance to get them at $595 upgrade fee, but what can you do.

If anyone can suggest somewhere outside the dealership to purchase these at a lower cost if a place like this exists I would appreciate it. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might ask the manager at the dealer if he can do a swap for you, for a fee of course. Maybe he has a truck coming in with the other wheels or he can see one in the system that another dealer has coming in. You can offer to pay the 595 plus an extra couple hundred for his trouble. It would be a lot cheaper than buying a new set because then you would also have to sell your other set of wheels or be stuck with two sets. This way if you swap you only have the one set.

If you can't make that happen I would suggest buying non OEM. Lots of great rims out there that I think you can you will like better and pay less than Ford OEM rims.

I have always been told dealers can't swap or take factory equipment off a new vehicle that is listed on the window sticker but maybe I have been told wrong. Anyone else have any experience with this? If I am wrong then this would be the best move. CUrious if anyone knows the answer to this.

We are waiting to take delivery of a 2016 Limited that has already been built. We ordered it with the standard painted 20" wheels and now the wife is telling me she thinks the polished 20" wheels might have been better looking. We are going to wait to take delivery and see what she thinks, but in the event she wants the polished ones where is the best and cheaper location I might get these?

I called the dealership parts department today just to see what they would run and they told me $1250 a wheel and that's not even mounting them. Needless to say I wish this would have been brought up when we had a chance to get them at $595 upgrade fee, but what can you do.

If anyone can suggest somewhere outside the dealership to purchase these at a lower cost if a place like this exists I would appreciate it. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You can try contacting Benny at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/dto_vendor.php?do=click&id=1026 and see if they have them but I doubt they'd be much less.

Peter

I have always been told dealers can't swap or take factory equipment off a new vehicle that is listed on the window sticker but maybe I have been told wrong. Anyone else have any experience with this? If I am wrong then this would be the best move. CUrious if anyone knows the answer to this.
I'm quite sure that they won't take polished wheels off a vehicle on the lot and put the painted ones on if the Window Sticker states 20" Polished Wheels.

Peter

Just go to Tire rack or Americas Tire, and pick from many styles.
Both have online pics and are a lot cheaper .
Then sell Your old set of wheels on the Marketpkace forum Here.

They may look better but after a few years they will start to corrode/pit/peel due to the clear coat deteriorating!

Wow I didn't realize they had any issues.I have had them on a few different ford vehicles but never kept the car past a few years so never experienced this. Any similar concerns with the painted wheels?

I have had a dealer do it but it wasn't a Ford. It's their vehicle. Maybe you just have to sign something attesting to the fact the wheels are different? I'm sure most people would want to save the extra $595 off the sticker and take your wheels. Anyway, the dealer might also be willing to do a swap and just straight order the wheels, not take them off another vehicle, then sell your wheels, if they can make $200-$300 for taking the risk? But like someone else said you can also just sell them here.

You will def have problems with clear coat and painted wheels if you live in an area with road salt and aren't meticulous about keeping them clean. But I don't think you have that issue where you are.

I'm not sure what '16 wheels look like but you may want to check out the business in the link below...

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/378/ford_explorer_wheels_rims.html

You could check out a tire resale shop online. I am from Michigan and know that Detroit Wheel and Tire and US Wheel Exchange sells OEM wheels for a fraction of the prices a dealership charges. Both are great companies and both ship for around $200 I believe. Detroit W&T also has an eBay account where they have some different wheels that are not listed on their website.

Detroit Wheel and Tire - https://detroitwheelandtire.com/

US Wheel - http://uswheelexchange.com/

If you are going to go aftermarket with the wheels, make sure you get a well known brand and be sure that the lug pattern and hub diameter of the Explorer matches the hub diameter of the wheel. If not, you'll get a horrid vibration that will shake the entire car, even if it is a few mm off. Companies make hub-centric rings to size wheels correctly - the essentially are metal or polyester rings that snap into the inside of the wheel and rest on the hub of the car to help fill the gap. That being said, I have had three sets of aftermarket wheels with spacers, two have made the car shake.

If it comes down to OEM v. Aftermarket, I would go OEM every time... Unless I was going to get a set of Vossen wheels that are built custom for every order and are machined based on your exact specs.

Hope this helps in your search!

Thank you very much. Yes I located the Detroit tire and wheel last night by just searching net and the exact wheels I am looking for are on there at a very reasonable price. They did show that they were "reconditioned." Has anyone ordered wheels from this site and were they reconditioned? Just initially concerned about the quality since it lists reconditioned and because the price is great. This does look like the number one opition at this point of the wheel quality is good.

Thank you very much. Yes I located the Detroit tire and wheel last night by just searching net and the exact wheels I am looking for are on there at a very reasonable price. They did show that they were "reconditioned." Has anyone ordered wheels from this site and were they reconditioned? Just initially concerned about the quality since it lists reconditioned and because the price is great. This does look like the number one opition at this point of the wheel quality is good.
I am considering a set of the black chrome wheels. Just haven't convinced myself I need another set of wheels yet. But if I do, I don't think I would hesitate to buy from them. I believe many of the wheels are pull-offs and such.

Once again the kind people of this forum have saved me. I ordered the 20" polished aluminum OEM wheels for $250 a wheel as opposed to the $1192 the dealership wanted. I called a few places here locally that do factory take offs, but they all said for that price and availability buy from Detroit Wheel if they had them as none of them have any in stock here due to how new the vehicle is. They also told me that the ones I am getting are factory take offs since the model is so new they don't have any reconditioned wheels of this style at this point.

I just hope this is what the wife wants when they arrive. HAHA

Now I need to sell the brand new ones that I will be taking off the vehicle. Any suggestions other than ebay? Factoring in the cost of what I would have paid to upgrade when I ordered the car and selling the wheels that come on it I hope to break even.

Thank you again to all the people who took the time to read my post and respond.

Once again the kind people of this forum have saved me. I ordered the 20" polished aluminum OEM wheels for $250 a wheel as opposed to the $1192 the dealership wanted. I called a few places here locally that do factory take offs, but they all said for that price and availability buy from Detroit Wheel if they had them as none of them have any in stock here due to how new the vehicle is. They also told me that the ones I am getting are factory take offs since the model is so new they don't have any reconditioned wheels of this style at this point.

I just hope this is what the wife wants when they arrive. HAHA

Now I need to sell the brand new ones that I will be taking off the vehicle. Any suggestions other than ebay? Factoring in the cost of what I would have paid to upgrade when I ordered the car and selling the wheels that come on it I hope to break even.

Thank you again to all the people who took the time to read my post and respond.

Ask Detroit wheel and tire if they want to buy them. They buy OEM wheels and perma-chrome them either Black Chrome or PVD "shiny" chrome. They might give you a better offer than if you were to try to sell them yourself. Plus they will probably send you shipping labels to put the old wheels in the boxes the new ones are shipped in, and you can send them direct to them. That is what I have done before.

Yeah I asked them but they said the shipping would eat up any profits. Guess those rims aren't worth much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well back to the drawing board. About 5 hours after placing my order with Detroit tire and wheel I get a call from salesperson. He said that the owner of company put the wrong price on the Internet and that $250 was their cost and that the owner said he couldn't sell them at that price even though I had already ordered them. Informed me the new price was $395 each plus shipping. This might be a good company but what owner has a salesperson call to explain their mistake and then have them deliver the message that they won't honor an already placed order price. Seems like to me selling a set of wheels at cost beats bad publicity. Just so you guys know.

Going to search criagslist and ebay for the time being as I am not going to spend my money with that company. Could be and probably is an isolated incident considering the positive feedback on them I got from you all but still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Back