Best Place to buy a New (Rebuilt) M5R1? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Place to buy a New (Rebuilt) M5R1?

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
My M5R1 broke on the interstate this morning while I was on my way to the trail. I have no gears at all, something on the input shaft must have broken. I dont have time to do a rebuild and it is probably going to be only a little more expensive to just get a new/rebuilt one since I would need all the seals, bearings and syncros plus whatever shafts and gears I broke. It has 200k on the original transmission. Now I am looking for a new/rebuilt M5R1 trans. Who has the best price on a rebuilt unit? Any recomendations or good experiences with any particular transmission suppliers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally got it out and pulled the top off. 1 gear completly gone and the other in bad shape so a new cluster and input would be needed. Still think I am just going to get a rebuilt unit and not have to hassle with a rebuild of this one.

Attachments

• m_DSC08586.jpg
    m_DSC08586.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 2,398
  • m_DSC08587.jpg
    m_DSC08587.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2,082

Got my new transmission in a few days ago. It took me just under 6 hours to get everything reinstalled working on my back under the Explorer in my driveway.

I called around all my local tranny shops and the prices ranged from $500 just to put in a new input and cluster only all the way up to $1400 for a rebuild of mine and these prices were all carry out since I removed it myself.

This is who I went with and I would recommend them. The sales guy was really nice and it shipped quickly. Best price I found as well. It was $700 after all was said and done including returning my core.

....That's great news and great to hear the feedback was positive...:biggthump

...Truckhaven this year??

Back