Best place to buy wheel spacers/adapters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best place to buy wheel spacers/adapters

ExplorerJimbo

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer XLT
ok for my swap im doing with my waggy... it has 6 on 5.5 lug pattern and my 8.8 is obviously 5 on 4.5...

I was thinking i could just get adapters for the front going from 6 on 5.5 to 5 on 4.5 and just spacers on the back to match the fronts width... Now I know I read somewhere where i could get some 8.8 shafts that have a 6 on 5.5 pattern... or am i crazy? :confused:

so i guess my question... wheres the best place to buy these adapters and spacers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah i was actually just on that site. thanks!

I just came across an article in my june issue of 4 wheel drive for wider wheeling... its about spacers.. the name of the company is Trail sport unlimited. http://www.trailsport4x4.com/products.htm

oh god, step away from the adapters. Ask spas about the hell she went through doing the same thing you are trying. She should of just listened to me in the first place, so let me save you the trouble. You have FSJ knuckles and outers now, which use the same bearing as ford does, and basically the same rotor minus the pattern. Get ford rotors, hubs and lockouts and put them on, now you're at 5 on 5.5 in the front. Get aftermarket shafts made for the 8.8 with a 5 on 5.5 pattern or get fullwidth 8.8 FSB/F-150 shafts and narrow them to explorer width. Redrill the drums, install and enjoy.

You now have one of the most popular rim patterns meaning rims will be cheaper and easier to find in styles you like and if you ever need a spare on the trail your much more likely to find a 5 on 5.5 one than 6 on 5.5

Dont believe me, heres the swap information for the front.

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html SCroll down about 3/4 the way to the section with Knuckles Out in red

Attachments

• CIMG3485.jpg
    CIMG3485.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,383

snowboarder - thanks for the info... ill try to stay away from these now!

anyone have any idea how much i can get aftermarket shafts for my 8.8 with a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern? doesnt dutchman motorsports make these?

Get aftermarket shafts made for the 8.8 with a 5 on 5.5 pattern or get fullwidth 8.8 FSB/F-150 shafts and narrow them to explorer width. Redrill the drums, install and enjoy.

Personally, I say swap out the 8.8 for a 9" but yes, dutchman and moser make custom shafts, as well as currie. All of those places could also cut and respline FSB/F150 shafts.

Personally, I say swap out the 8.8 for a 9" but yes, dutchman and moser make custom shafts, as well as currie. All of those places could also cut and respline FSB/F150 shafts.

yeah id like to havea 9"... i will eventually though. when the money comes around. but thanks for the info about the shafts!

Just throwin it out there, but another options for the 8.8 is to get wheel spacer/adapter for 5x5.5. A few of us have those as well.

yeah i know. im just weighing my options right now. do you have the spacers? how do you like them?

alright cool... i've been looking at the spidertrax spacers... if i remember correctly its like 99 bucks for a pair. so thats not bad at all

CAll up Superior axle and see if you can get there c clip eleminator kit with 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. That way you get three things done. 1. right bolt pattern. 2. stronger rear axle shafts. 3. loose the c clips.

If you cant do that then convert the front to 5 on 5.5 and use eather rear shafts or spacers to covert the rear. I have rear spacers from www.4x4trailsport.com The front spacers I going to add are from www.trailgear.com

if you are looing at $100 adapters that all a 9" would cost. They are dirt cheap. Just get one from a junkyard (~$50) new brakes and axle bearings and new gears/internals when you get the gears swapped.

yeah, ive actually been thinking about the 9"... i found one here at a local Junkyard for 200. on the outside its got surgace rust. i didnt open it up to look in the inside. i might go with it, we'll see

i wouldnt touch one for $200, thats insane. Look on craigslist or ebay or whatever and you could easily find one for at least 150 100

Back