• Register Today It's free!

Best place to hide an amp?

Explorer96xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Maitland, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 5.0
Where would the best place to hide a decent sized amplifier in my ex? Ive got it bolted to my box at the moment, but i've heard thats bad for the internals..

I would want it hidden, and my back seat still able to go all the way down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you could do it like Rpheezy did and put it in a tuffy center console box
150tuffy_open.jpg

thats the koolest place i've seen one

I'm not sure where my pic is but mines behind the passenger side rear panel where the cubby thing is. I've got a piece of plexy over it with MTX routed in it and neon beind the amp, but you could easily keep it hidden behing the panel.

Could i fit a Hi fonics Brutus, or an infinity ref. 1211a back there?

Ive heard that it might be able to rattle the internals loose, not sure if this is true, but it makes sense

In my old Explorer. I simply put it underneath the rear bench seats. Just becareful if you ever need to fold them forward, the amp might block it.

372207_55_full.jpg

inside the lift gate

Typically with modern amplifiers you wont have to worry about internal components rattling loose in amps when mounted to enclosures, not to mention if this is a typical setup with a couple 12"s or so and the box is properly anchored to the vehicle the vibrations wont exactly register on the richter scale.

Unless you are using older pbx 3000's.. then I might be worried about internal parts coming loose :)

thats where id mount it personally. Im planning on sticking my 4 channel in there.

But mounted on the box wont hurt anything, unless of course your box flexes hugely enough to rattle the amp. If anything mounting the amp on the box acts as a brace on that panel to prevent it from flexing.

There was something in my owner's manual from US Amps with my AX3000DE's saying not to mount to the subwoofer box. I have the same problem. My amplifiers are soo big, that with two of them, I am not sure where to mount also. I might look into fabricating something into the tailgate. If I did that. I for sure would have to have some linear actuators on that thing.

Whats the biggest amp that will fit in the rear right side cargo area?

Im thinking of adding a Box to my truck. The box I Want is about 400-600W 2O RMS. So the Amp would be a bit large.

sort of cool to put amps on the ceiling too-

sort of cool to put amps on the ceiling too-

How would you go about doing that? Fiberglassing a frame or welding?
My amps are kind of heavy...It might make the ceiling sag.

How would you go about doing that? Fiberglassing a frame or welding?
My amps are kind of heavy...It might make the ceiling sag.

With the headliner out of the way, you can see the braces for the roof. Run some brackets or more braces between them and then you can mount your amp. I'm pretty sure that 15-20 lbs worth of amp would not make the roof droop...It's designed to hold some weight. Think about flipped trucks and how much weight, and force is applied. (Just be carfull of the length of screws that you use!)

You can also put them behind the drivers side rear seat, under the plastic, over the wheel well. I have my amp there- can't be seen at all. I can get some pictures tonight if you want.

Yes, please post some of that :thumbsup:

With the headliner out of the way, you can see the braces for the roof. Run some brackets or more braces between them and then you can mount your amp. I'm pretty sure that 15-20 lbs worth of amp would not make the roof droop...It's designed to hold some weight. Think about flipped trucks and how much weight, and force is applied. (Just be carfull of the length of screws that you use!)
That does seem like a good idea...However my amps both weigh 30 lbs each. Two of them won't be too heavy? Are you sure?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice thread, I'm wondering about three amps myself.

Back