Best place to hide an amp? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best place to hide an amp?

I like the ceiling idea, but i dont wanna tear apart my headliner without knowing where the braces would be.. where exactly are they?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pictures- just now got to it

subandamp_001_Medium_.jpg

subandamp_002_Medium_.jpg

subandamp_003_Medium_.jpg

subandamp_004_Medium_.jpg

subandamp_005_Medium_.jpg

isnt there a bunch of stuff in that compartment?

I didnt know if it was still in there, or if you had placed it elsewhere.. but i guess your amp is just in front of the other stuff that is there

You mean where the amp is mounted?

There was a few modules on brackets where the amp is mounted. I just took the brackets off the module boxes and moved them out of the way.

As for the sub side, there was a "cubby hole" that I took out, and a trim ring on the outside. I also cut part of the panel off to make it look right where it meets the carpet.

If you plan to run a big amp with high draw subs, you may have a heat problem inside there. You may could cut a hole and add a small fan to help it cool.

My amp is a mono block amp turned way down to run that single 10, so I don't have any problems with it.

Isn't there a rear window washer fluid reservior in that compartment
nervous.gif

I' m sorry i misunderstood, In my truck i think there is a bunch of factory electronics stuff back there (drivers side)

Isn't there a rear window washer fluid reservior in that compartment
nervous.gif

Nope, mine uses the front reservoir for both :)

I' m sorry i misunderstood, In my truck i think there is a bunch of factory electronics stuff back there (drivers side)

There are some, but that doesn't mean you can't modify it. Be careful though, it is easy to dent your panel from the inside with stuff.

I would not be able to stick mine behind the panel due to heat issues.

oh you could- just have to steal my chilled air set-up

That does seem like a good idea...However my amps both weigh 30 lbs each. Two of them won't be too heavy? Are you sure?

I Don't think so with the truck. I would think the problem would be with the bracing that you would use to mount it with. Chances are you would use wood and it wouldn't hold that kind of weight. Of course I could be wrong.:dunno:

need about 3/8s steel bars up there- and quite a bit of it.

have you seen the thing i have attached to my headliner? maybe 50 lbs of mdf/fiberglass to stiffen things up a bit.

Maybe a pic would help
Fill me in on the chilled air setup.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my last car I had a Kicker amp mounted to a box with 2 Kicker 10's for over 8 years without a single problem. If the best place to mount is to the box go for it.

Back