Best place to run through firewall? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best place to run through firewall?

Explorer96xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Maitland, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 5.0
Im running out of options for a firewall for 1/0 gauge..

Can anybody show me pics or give me an idea where to run through the firewall of an EX, ive got 1/0 gauge wire..let me know

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to drill a hole through my firewall. There is no good place to run a 0/1 gauge wire through. I drilled mine in the passanger side fenderwell. As far up as i could. I can get a picture if you need to see where i put it.

There is an excellent place to run a wire through the firewall. Right below the steering column, there is a soft rubber grommet where the speedometer cable passes through the firewall. I used this to run my coax and power from the battery to my "Ham Radio Installation". No drilling necessary. you can cut a slice in this grommet with a pair of scissors.

i wanna run mine on the drivers side to stay away from my RCA's

There is an excellent place to run a wire through the firewall. Right below the steering column, there is a soft rubber grommet where the speedometer cable passes through the firewall. I used this to run my coax and power from the battery to my "Ham Radio Installation". No drilling necessary. you can cut a slice in this grommet with a pair of scissors.

That wont fit a ogauge wire i dont think. I had to swap my rca over to the drivers side so i could run the power wire on the passangers side.:thumbsup:

yeah the grommet barely fit my 4 ga wire, no way it will fit 1/0

how about through the steering boot?

I have never run something through there sorry i cant help you out.

right above the pedals there is a grommet that already had a few cables and stuff running through it. On my explorer I ran two 1/0 wires through it. It is possible. Unless you have a different year and maybe something has changed.

i just ran mine under the truck on the drivers side and came up through the floor under the flap behind the back seat.

Thats 10 runs of 1/0

DSCN0552.jpg

DSCN0557.jpg

There is a big ol grommet on my 96 explorer under the drivers side. I think its for steering junk, but i just got a groove into it with a boxknife, and i have 1/0 ga and a 4ga ran through the same spot.

Back