BEST PLUGS for a stock 4.0 OHV...? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BEST PLUGS for a stock 4.0 OHV...?

You say you like the NGKs. Can you expound on your experience with them? Have you used Motocraft or Autolite as well?

It's really just a matter of personal preference. I mostly use Autolites except for european or Toyotas. They seem to have consistent quality at a low price. For Toyotas I try to use Denso because with the exception of Denso and NGK I've found that parts lookup can be a problem with other brands. I'll use Bosch for MB for similar part number lookup concerns. I try very hard not to use Bosch for anything else though because I've seen so many of them that leak around the ceramic and burn boots. The NGK platinums seem to take a long time to show any sign of wear which is why I like them.

Really, though, with the exception of the leaky Bosch plugs I can't say anything bad about any brand.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok next probably dumb question... I just bought OEM plugs from ford for my ex, do they need to be gapped? I would think they are already set at the correct gap, right? Thanks.

Its prudent to always check the gap.

Good luck ....

Autolite 765s? Nice. That's easy to remember, My other car uses 764s

Thanks for the help.
Any wire sets that I should stay clear of?

It's really just a matter of personal preference....
The NGK platinums seem to take a long time to show any sign of wear which is why I like them.

Really, though, with the exception of the leaky Bosch plugs I can't say anything bad about any brand.

Great information. Thanks. :thumbsup:
I'm still researching, but your experience with NGK lasting is another notch toward them instead of Autolite. Though I still don't know how the new Motorcraft plugs compare.

Autolite 765s? Nice. That's easy to remember, My other car uses 764s

Thanks for the help.
Any wire sets that I should stay clear of?

From what I've seen around here, Magnecor, Taylor, Jacobs, MSD and Motorcraft are popular brands. I suppose it really depends on how well your engine's running and how often you intend to change the wires. I've run AutoZone wires and gotten 62K off them. So I suppose any wire would do for while. But I've also run Motorcraft and gotten something over 100K. While this is a plus for me, the big difference I noticed was in how much smoother the engine ran and idled with the Motorcraft wires. So my personal experience tells me it's worth it to spend more for better wires.

Magnecor's site has a bucket-load of information about wire technologies.

Got a link to the Motorcrafts?

ok question number 1,897,687 lol, Is it safe to spray the plugs with PB blaster to hopefully help get them out without breaking something? Thanks.:thumbsup:

ok question number 1,897,687 lol, Is it safe to spray the plugs with PB blaster to hopefully help get them out without breaking something? Thanks.:thumbsup:

Yes. It's been done before.

It does stink up like hell when PB Blaster gets heated up. :confused:

alright guys, I did it today. I bit the bullet and just said what the hell and replaced all 6 plugs and wires today in about 2 hours. The car is running much better now but I got a question. 4 of the plugs, all 3 on the drivers side and the back one closest to the firewall on the passenger side all had oil on the plugs. I don't think this is good, but what does it mean? The other 2 or dry. Thanks for the help everyone, especially you aldive:thumbsup:

oh just i though i should add that the oil does not seem to be on the electrodes, but around the base of the metal instead. I can take pictures if anyone thinks it will help. Thanks.

Take a pic please.

^^^
Thank you. I have a lot of learning to do with this truck. I'm a muscle car guy. LOL
I need to install keyless in this thing.

alright guys, I did it today. I bit the bullet and just said what the hell and replaced all 6 plugs and wires today in about 2 hours. The car is running much better now but I got a question. 4 of the plugs, all 3 on the drivers side and the back one closest to the firewall on the passenger side all had oil on the plugs. I don't think this is good, but what does it mean? The other 2 or dry. Thanks for the help everyone, especially you aldive:thumbsup:

oh just i though i should add that the oil does not seem to be on the electrodes, but around the base of the metal instead. I can take pictures if anyone thinks it will help. Thanks.

It could be a number things. When you say "around the base metal" do you mean the gasket area of the plug just above the threads? If it's just here, it could be your valve cover gaskets are leaking and oil is running down and pooling around the plugs. Otherwise, do you plugs look like any of these?

Hello, here are the pics i just took. The plugs don't look like any of the pictures on the site posted above. Thanks.

car001.jpg

car002.jpg

The ones on the right are what the 4 oiled ones look like, the right two came from the passenger side 2 front cylindors.

car003.jpg

edit- left are the bad ones if you didn't notice lol:D

Well, your electrodes look fine. So I think your rings are okay. And you haven't mentioned anything like pinging, or mysterious oil or coolant loss. So my first guess would be leaking valve cover gaskets, which is pretty common.

My truck pings like crazy when I try to accelerate on the highway. Will the plugs cure that?

Well, your electrodes look fine. So I think your rings are okay. And you haven't mentioned anything like pinging, or mysterious oil or coolant loss. So my first guess would be leaking valve cover gaskets, which is pretty common.

Yea there is no pinging and I don't burn any oil, coolant, or any other fluids. The truck actually runs well and is even better since I did the plugs and wires. Thank you so much for all your help Flandry:thumbsup:

wow this is a long thread on "Plugs",I just use the "Autolite" ones because, they're made by Ford? Yes?, Ive seen old Ford motors 390, 428 ect.and vehicles with stickers, and manuals pertaining to use "Autolite", stickers on the actual engine,, who gives a *, (I always make sure 2 not break tha white peice of the plug by not installing them in too tight, and when going to change em',they break,tighten them only 2 the specified torque)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back