Best power mods for the 4.0 SOHC??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best power mods for the 4.0 SOHC???

Reaction score
City, State
Wilkesboro North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and so here is my first thread. I've been looking into some ways to help out with the HP and Torque of my 4.0 V6 SOHC in my 2000 XLT, I was fourtunate enough to discover shortly after getting the truck that it in fact has the tow package and came with the 4.10 gearing so it does well with my 32's I just put on the other day. My question is this, do they make any worth the money tuners for these motors and aside from an aftermarket intake and exhaust setup is there really anything else out there that can deliver a noticable increase in throttle response and power? I've looked into the ideas of getting a cam but idk if it will need a tune afterwards to get the full benifit of one. Any and all questions, comments are welcome. Mostly trying to see if anyone has gone this route and what their experiences and opinions are. I've already spent the last few weeks getting it tuned up and running as good as new with the only mod so far being an intake. I am not new to building and modding engines so tear downs don't intimidate me, just new to this engine and what its potential is. Thanks everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is my truck btw just in case anyone is like me and likes to see what it is they help out with lol
IMG_2725_zpsjweu5q9r.jpg
IMG_2726_zpsbz6kp7mh.jpg

I know but this was a great deal for this truck and it's been in my family as a stock daily for years until I got it a few weeks ago. Hopefully one day I will have enough extra money after my little girl grows up and I'll get a coyote swap lol :burnout:

whats your budget

It really depends on what parts are needed and how large of a difference they make. From there I will weigh the gains over the cost and see if it's worth it. As far as a set price I have none, this truck is going to be a very invested build over a long span of time with hopes of eventually passing this on to my daughter when she's old enough.

Looks good. You will soon find out the 4.0 SOHC engines get little love here. But there are some intrepid members that have not been deterred! Do some searching, you will find fully blown trucks for your inspiration. Of course you haven't done yourself any favors performance wise with the 32s, but I am sure they are nice off-road. FWIW, I have a 2G with 248,000 hard miles and the engine is still running strong. YMMV

Looks good. You will soon find out the 4.0 SOHC engines get little love here. But there are some intrepid members that have not been deterred! Do some searching, you will find fully blown trucks for your inspiration. Of course you haven't done yourself any favors performance wise with the 32s, but I am sure they are nice off-road. FWIW, I have a 2G with 248,000 hard miles and the engine is still running strong. YMMV

Thanks for the reply DRDOOM, I did happen to see a few supercharged applications and that's what got me wondering just how capable these motors are. Most of them were Street trucks however but inspired me none the less to see what I can get outta this engine. I'm the kind of guy who likes to build the stuff not everyone else may consider worth it so if I have to a V8 swap would eventually happen but I would much rather build off of what's there. Also my truck is about to hit 230,000 miles and it's running great too so I'm already super impressed with these engines. I may just do a full exhaust to go with the intake and try to keep it quiet as possible and scope out what else may be available. The 32's actually didn't hurt the power that much honestly, it has the 4.10 gears so I assume that's why it wasn't a huge difference from the stock 16's with 255-70's. Thanks again for the response and if I come across anything promising I'll post it up here!

if you havent already, look at 4pointslow's thread. i never in my wildest dreams you could punish a SOHC the way he has. i have met him, and seen the truck as well. also, when i was heading back to my hotel, and he was headed home, i tried playing with him down the interstate (at the time i just had the 302 with a eaton m90 supercharger and supporting mods done) and i couldnt keep up with him. he flat out freight trained me on the road.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/my-98-super-charged-ex.219092/

vroomzoomboom thanks for the link, this looks like the direction I may end up going.

Thanks for the reply DRDOOM, I did happen to see a few supercharged applications and that's what got me wondering just how capable these motors are. Most of them were Street trucks however but inspired me none the less to see what I can get outta this engine. I'm the kind of guy who likes to build the stuff not everyone else may consider worth it so if I have to a V8 swap would eventually happen but I would much rather build off of what's there. Also my truck is about to hit 230,000 miles and it's running great too so I'm already super impressed with these engines. I may just do a full exhaust to go with the intake and try to keep it quiet as possible and scope out what else may be available. The 32's actually didn't hurt the power that much honestly, it has the 4.10 gears so I assume that's why it wasn't a huge difference from the stock 16's with 255-70's. Thanks again for the response and if I come across anything promising I'll post it up here!
I have an 03 Sportrac with the 4.0. I bought it to pull our tent trailer, which it does fairly well despite lacking some HP. I was getting 26 imperial mpg on highway, and thought I could do better. The stock air intake is large and straight, so I focused on the exhaust. The stock muffler is huge and heavy - so, I cut it off with a sawsall, welded a Thrush Turbo muffler on with a simple downspout. It sounds throaty without being loud, and it quiets right down on the hwy. it seems peppier, but with winter here now, I’ll wait until spring for an mpg test. The other bonus is that there is no longer a tailpipe exiting right behind the right rear wheel where it was melting the stock mud flap. It’s got 380,000 km on it and wants more.

Back