Best price on Solenoid Pack? (03 Model) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best price on Solenoid Pack? (03 Model)

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02-04 Explorers
Thanks for looking in -- I've got an 03 Explorer which codes needing a Solenoid Pack. Where's the best place to get part rather than Ford -- reman unit should work? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for looking in -- I've got an 03 Explorer which codes needing a Solenoid Pack. Where's the best place to get part rather than Ford -- reman unit should work? Thanks

Don't go reman or used. Look on Ebay for a new one.

Here's one that I bought and installed and it worked well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5R55W-5R55S...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4cf7a8c77e

also here's one that has a few hours left and is also brand new, maybe you can win it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5R55S-SOLEN...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item41611b395e

Thanks for the links -- I have had bad luck w/ remans in the past that why I was looking for some other companies to try. I'll try and buy the one on ebay -- I know there are several transmissions (5R55S or N or W) in these 02-04 models - does the solenoid pack 5R55S SOLENOID / 9L2Z7G391A work for them all? I have an 03 Model to be specific -- Thanks

Look for one that is for the S or W.

If you don't win the auction in the second link, I can vouch that the first vendor is selling a quality product.

Either way just make sure you submerge the new pack in clean trans fluid (except for the harness connector) and tilt it around while tapping on it with a screwdriver to get the air out before you install it.

5R55S/W tranny parts are the same the N uses quite a few different parts....don't know about solenoid packs between S/W and N

Thanks for the info -- There is ALOT of conflicting info out there on these solenoid packs! I've seen all 02+ Explorers/Mountaineers/Lincolns/Mustangs use the same pack in the 5r55s or w....then I see some solenoids listed as only matching certain engine sizes or year ranges?!

For the record -- Can someone set me straight on this -- I only deal w/ 02-05Explorers and Mountaineers, and at the moment have an 03 XLT V6 4WD - how do I find out which trans it has (s or w)...or does it even matter? Does it matter engine size? 2wd or 4wd? Thanks!

Also should I be looking for a new "updated" solenoid pack?

Thanks for the info -- There is ALOT of conflicting info out there on these solenoid packs! I've seen all 02+ Explorers/Mountaineers/Lincolns/Mustangs use the same pack in the 5r55s or w....then I see some solenoids listed as only matching certain engine sizes or year ranges?!

For the record -- Can someone set me straight on this -- I only deal w/ 02-05Explorers and Mountaineers, and at the moment have an 03 XLT V6 4WD - how do I find out which trans it has (s or w)...or does it even matter? Does it matter engine size? 2wd or 4wd? Thanks!

Also should I be looking for a new "updated" solenoid pack?

Not sure on which trucks got which tranny. functionally there is a slight difference the the overdrive gear ratio and 2nd gear. There may also some differences in a few of the parts internally, but it's not much of difference at all from what I know.

If you want to see what the difference is between the transmissions, you can read through this. Comparison starts on pg 42:

http://www.ratiotek.com/5r55w-complete.pdf

In terms of the solenoid pack it doesn't really matter whether it's the S or W. The new updated one fixes some issues seen in the earlier versions; don't recall what those were off the top of my head.

Thanks for the info -- Does anyone know how to tell which trans is what? (S or W) Anything on the case etc. I have a spare trans from an 04 right now and want to make sure to put it in the right model. This trans stuff is complicated or at least very time-consuming if you make a mistake! Can you switch out an S for a W or vice versa between 02-05 models....or do you need to keep trans swap to same year and trans model to make sure everything matches up? Thanks for the help!

No difference in parts between the s and w except the 2nd and od gearing. I think that Ford put the 5R55W into some 4wd and the 5R55S into some 2wd rangers and explorers starting in 2002......

Solenoid block will NOT interchange between 5R55S/W and 5R55N even though they appear similar they are different also make sure you receive the correct gasket as they look very similar

Thanks. I appreciate everyone's help and the forum is always a great place for info. Alot of posts concerning these transmissions are vague w/ no definitive answers to what can swap with what etc. Can any 02-05 trans (S or W) swap out?...or because of there slight changes over those years do you need to keep same year and trans model to swap? I've read every variation is true - yes, no, sometimes maybe.... Can anyone bring the light to this or have a link for this info? And lastly on the original post for Solenoid packs -- does it matter if the vehicle is 2wd or 4wd, V8 or V6 when ordering replacement?

Back