• Register Today It's free!

best rear lift options

blakshukvw

Reaction score
City, State
K.C. mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0
So I need to toss my airshocks I've been using to lift the rear of my x in favor of something better. I'm trying to decide the best approach and I only want to do this once. The front is already lifted with a TT and I'm about maxed out at a safe height for my axles.
I've heard some folks say that the warrior shackles can make truck a little more unstable. I don't want to make it drive worse. So I'm thinking about the warrior shackles. The other option is just adding an add a leaf to raise the rear up. So is true about the shackles that it will feel more unstable and should I just go with the aal instead for that reason, or am I gonna need the shackles and aal?
I read about 2 versions of the shackles used. The 153 and the 183. I thought that one was longer than the other. Any ideas about that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about air bags?

I've got a 2000 xlt and I went with the 153 shackles and noticed no difference. on the other hand, It's a nice lift, and you'll be happy with the look. :exporange
just my 2 pennies! :thumbsup: :D

So you didn't notice any I'll effects from the shackles?

"best" would be new, good springs, like Old Man Emu springs (ARB USA). The current p/n (AFAIK) is CS042R

They give you about 1.5" of lift AND they ride much better..

I ran a set I got from Rick for almost 200k miles. I finally had to get rid of them when I made them into an S. I took them inverted many times when wheeling and never broke one.

~Mark

I'll look into those too.

So been doing some more research on the issue and it seems that the aal will most likely get me near the height I want and if not I could just add the shackles. Also, the consensus is that the long aal gives the best ride.

Back