Best Repair Manual - Chilton vs. Haynes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Repair Manual - Chilton vs. Haynes

dsturch1

Reaction score
City, State
Pennington, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.0 XLT & 98 5.0 XLT
Looking to pick up a repair manual for my 2003 Explorer - I have to do a complete engine pull and then plan to drop a used engine that I am going to eventually buy in the truck (since mine is gifted with the timing chain death rattle) but looking for opinions as to which manual has better step by step instructions for doing so since I can't seem to find a detailed write up for 2003. Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been a long time, but I've had both. Ultimately I always had to return to the Haynes. Chilton as I recall, omitted some rather basic repair items. All I own now is Haynes.

An actual shop manual is what you really want.

Go to ebay and search "2003 Ford Explorer Workshop Manual" Ford service/repair manual. Great detail. I got my 2 volume manual and electrical book all new for about $70

I bought a ford workshop manual in CD for $10 in ebay, it covers all ford makes from 1998 to 2004. Very useful CD since it's the exact copy of the book. It covers my 98 lincoln, 2002 lincoln ls, 2002 ford taurus, 2002 mountaineer and my 2001 cougar in 1 CD.

Only the Ford Shop Repair Manual is even worthy of opening the pages, in my experience! imp

The older manuals are good yes. We have one for 1st gen Explorers. Very detailed. I looked at one for my 2002. WHAT A JOKE! Imp is right. Don't bother with the others... Just the Ford.

Also, Ford send like 10 error correction forums in the back of the manuals. I have found an error with the wiring book :p They messed up the rear defrost and washer pump pin-out diagram :p

My repair manual is Explorerforum.com :thumbsup::salute:

oh yeah, and I use Haynes too.

Back