• Register Today It's free!

Best riding shocks?

IBLEEDFORDBLUE

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 5.0
I'm looking to buy shocks for my 97 AWD 5.0. It is not lowered, i'm afraid it will ride worse? What shocks work best on this for ride? Thanks, Richard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is a very vague opinion question..... everyone is right and everyone has a differnt answer....

i have never heard anything bad about the edelbrock ias shocks other than they are expensive and arent worth all the hype, but performancewise they rock

personally monroe sensatracs or reflex work for me....

also remember that when people give opinions to consider what kind of truck they have too. if they are talking about what they put on their sport (2 door) then they probalby won't be AS satisifed with the shocks because the 2 doors are going to ride ruff either way. so watch closely who gives you opinions, cause us with sports are stuck with a ruff riding truck either way, but you can probably get a pretty decent ride out of your 5.0 :)

Opinions are meaningless if it is simply hearsay.

Now I have tried 3 different sets of shocks on my 99, (1) stock - and they were mushy and lacked control (2) Edelbrock - rough as a cob, great control, ride like crap (3) Ranchi 9000X - great adjustability, great ride and the control is as good as it gets.

Have heard/witnessed many bad things regarding the Edelbrocks. One that sticks in my head is "Edelbrock should stick with engine parts."

I have SensaTracs and have had not one problem and my X rides great. If you plan on lowering, you need to look into drop shocks, however.

As you can read in my discription it is a 5.0 and the weight i'm sure plays a factor. I'm just looking for a comfortable ride. Anyone out there with a 97 5.0 that has replaced there shocks? Thanks to all, Richard

<---99 5.0

BTW, Sears has great deals on shocks like free installation so I would check them out. That's where I got mine.

WillieTD said:
Have heard/witnessed many bad things regarding the Edelbrocks. One that sticks in my head is "Edelbrock should stick with engine parts."
I have SensaTracs and have had not one problem and my X rides great. If you plan on lowering, you need to look into drop shocks, however.
Only the Edelbrock IAS was specially designed for lowered trucks.

Monroe Reflex are great shocks. I've had mine on for 10,000 miles and love them. Well worth the investment.

Has anyone tried the Bilsteins? I was shopping around, but wondered if there were any good. The only ones i could find were the HD type. Heavy duty doesn't sound like that good of a ride? Thanks Again, Richard

i bought kyb's, replaced them with edelbrocks, then replaced the edelbrocks with monroe sensatracs and i'm finally happy. broke, but happy. the kyb's and edelbrocks were the same to me, too rough, heavy duty, but almost too heavy duty. the sensatracs give a real nice ride, almost as nice as you can expect from an explorer. get some monroes(sensatrcs, reflexes) since they are cheaper than rancho's, and adjust your tire pressure and you should get the ride you are looking for.

alphabets13 said:
i bought kyb's, replaced them with edelbrocks, then replaced the edelbrocks with monroe sensatracs and i'm finally happy. broke, but happy. the kyb's and edelbrocks were the same to me, too rough, heavy duty, but almost too heavy duty. the sensatracs give a real nice ride, almost as nice as you can expect from an explorer. get some monroes(sensatrcs, reflexes) since they are cheaper than rancho's, and adjust your tire pressure and you should get the ride you are looking for.

What are the differences between the monro sensatracs and the reflexes? what can i expect to pay for either? Thanks, Richard

the sensatracs are more street oriented and the relexes ahve special valaving for both street/offroad......

when i replaced my moms shocks (96 X) i got her monroe sensatracs... they were $35 each....

aldive said:
Rancho 9000X - great adjustability, great ride and the control is as good as it gets.

Get em from Sam's Offroad in Tulsa, OK for the best pricing

I have em on my '99 X Sport (lifted 4") and talked my dad into getting them for his '98 Mounty (stock height w/ 17" rims)

We both love em.

Al uses them lowered, so you can see that they have every base covered

IBLEEDFORDBLUE said:
What are the differences between the monro sensatracs and the reflexes? what can i expect to pay for either? Thanks, Richard
like jim said, the sensatracs would be more of a street shock, maybe not as heavy duty as the reflexes, but not as expensive either. sears runs free installation specials all the time on monroes. i paid about $32 per shock for my sensatracs and free installation. i think the sensatracs would be ok offroad as long as it was not an everyday thing. i've taken mine in the woods a few times and i was very happy with how they handled and even still gave me a great ride over rough terrain.

Thanks to all, I will go with the sensatrac, all my driving is around town anyway. Thanks again, Richard

IBLEEDFORDBLUE said:

They're essentially the same, but the reflexes use newer technology. I'm heading out to get some Monroes as well =D

IBLEEDFORDBLUE said:
Has anyone tried the Bilsteins? I was shopping around, but wondered if there were any good.
I've had them on mine for about 6 months now and can't find anything to complain about.

Joe

Back