Best shocks for 1999 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best shocks for 1999 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0

Mounty99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer 5.0
Thinking about Bilstein 4600 Heavy Duty....that is if they are ever in stock again. :dunno:

Anyone have a good experience with Bilstein? Other recommendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

KYB Gas-A-Just. Monotubes too, but less harsher than Bilsteins, more appropriate for highway use.
Or you can get KYB MonoMax for a similar experience.

PS: Excel-G is the OE equal.

KYB Gas-A-Just. Monotubes too, but less harsher than Bilsteins, more appropriate for highway use.
Or you can get KYB MonoMax for a similar experience.

PS: Excel-G is the OE equal.

big +1 on the KYB gas-a-just.

KYB gas-a-just will give the Mountaineer a better ride than the Bilstein 4600 HDs??

KYB gas-a-just will give the Mountaineer a better ride than the Bilstein 4600 HDs??

yes, they will in my opinion, but keep in mind that you're driving a 4000 lb, body on frame truck with rear leaf spring suspension. if your truck came with the towing package, the ride is even more stiff. if you want a soft, smooth ride, i suggest you try a different vehicle.

If you want a soft, smooth ride, I suggest you try a different vehicle.
Never!!!! Love, love, love my Mountaineer!!

Yes, they will in my opinion, but keep in mind that you're driving a 4000 lb, body on frame truck with rear leaf spring suspension.
Thanks Koda. Just passed 193K and still going strong on the original shocks. So just didn't want something that was going to be WAAYYY more stiff. Thanks again for your suggestion. :salute:

193K on OEM shocks? :eek:
Yes sir! Maybe one man's worn out shock is another man's smooth ride? Or maybe I've just forgotten what the Mounty is supposed to feel like. :scratch:

Ever consider the Rancho RS9000XL 9-position adjustable shocks? Many great reviews and a $100 mail in rebate on four.
I haven't considered Rancho, but will check them out. To be honest, I pretty much have been waiting around for the 4600 HDs to be back in stock, but will definitely check out some of these suggestions. Thanks...

You are not "going strong" at that mileage (193k). You got used to the bouncing, the shocks are long gone.

Mine, at 90k miles was visibly having multiple oscillations over small highway seams. When stopping was diving like nobody's business and than bouncing up and down, in sharp turns was leaning side-to-side like a boat in the wind...

BTW, if you have a 5.0L, you have a fifth shock too on the rear axle, to stabilize the rear end sway.

You are not "going strong" at that mileage (193k). You got used to the bouncing, the shocks are long gone.
Yeah, shocks are done, and I am used to the bouncing, etc. Guess I was trying to say the Merc is going strong...even though I have yet to change the shocks. I'm hoping these new shocks are going to be a huge change for the better!!

BTW, if you have a 5.0L, you have a fifth shock too on the rear axle, to stabilize the rear end sway.
Thanks. I've already ordered the Monroe for that one. Just couldn't cough up Bilstein money for it...when I hear people have removed it completely and noticed virtually no change. :dunno:

When you remove a busted shock, of course you don't notice nothing...
I have the Monroe one too there.

I'm currently happy with my Monroe coil over on the back and Rancho's on the front. But I did that because I plan on towing a camper with it. The coil overs are stiff if you are the only one in the SUV. If you have a couple of kids in the back everything smoothes out... well as much as you expect with a truck suspension under it. :) If I wasn't spending money on everything else on the Ex I would probably have splurge more on the shocks.

The 5th shock is also on my '98 4.0 SOHC 4x4. Just did Monroe Load Adjust coil-overs on the rear and Sensa-Tracs on the front. Monroe OEM for the 5th.

Back