• Register Today It's free!

BEST SHOCKS??

Michigander

Reaction score
City, State
Flint, Midland, Ann Arbor, Alpena; all in Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Contour SVT
In your opinion, what are the best shocks for the money? I do a lot of HWY driving, so I want them to be good on the road, but I also do a lot of offroading, so I need to think abou that.

I have the TT and add-a-leafs with shackles. Should I still buy stock lenth shocks or what?

Right now I'm thinking about Pro-Comps. any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just got bilsteins last week and theyre absolutely amazing, but they are a bit pricy. it really depends on how much you wanna spend. you can still good shocks for less money...

I'de rather not pay that much $$... that's what is so apealling about the pro comps

The Gabriel VST has a similar dual valving action like the top-of-the-line $70 Edelbrock IAS and you can get them at PepBoys for $20/each. I have them on my front and they are a phenominal shock at any price and even moreso at only twenty bucks. The PepBoys receipt lists them as much more expensive with a huge discount to get you that price. It may be an introductory price; I don't know. They've already been out awhile so maybe it's sales jargon.

You asked for the best shock for the money, and these are it. These shocks are equal or superior to the best shocks on the market right now, whether Edelbrock or Bilstein or etc. I can't possibly imagine a better deal out there right now.

Jarrett

Do I just get stock lenth?

jerret

Do you know if they make them for lifted vehicles or to be more specific for a 6" lift?

GJarrett:
Do you know how Gabriels VSTs hold up over several years of use? I too, have heard good things about them. Guess it is hard to believe their quality is equal to or surpass Bilstein's or Edelbrock's which are three times their price. Also, what kind of a highway ride do your Gabriels give? Thanks Mike

I can't comment on their long term durability since I've got less than 10k miles on mine. I'm not sure but they seem to have slightly more dampening than Edelbrocks.

I don't know if they make different lengths. I couldn't get a definitive answer from anyone who knew for sure so I bought the stock ones and then cut/extended their length to match my lift.

Back