Best size tires for gas mileage? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best size tires for gas mileage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can't really go too small (not tire wise atleast). Now rims, you can only put 15's. I dunno what the smallest 15" size is...but I'm sure you could make that work. Might ride a little rougher, since there won't be a lot of sidewall, but the MPG should bounce up. Also, your speedo will be off.

-Drew

I think you could get a 225/75/R15 on an Explorer. That was the factory size for I don't know how long, with the 235/75/R15 being an option. I wouldn't go smaller than 225, it would look funny.

TheJMan said:
I wouldn't go smaller than 225, it would look funny.

it'd look funny, but he COULD go smaller.

-Drew

humm..

try what comes on the honda civic, they get good mileage...

you can go too small a tire... with trie change sizes, factors change... my truck has 3.07 gears and 31s, it ran a lot differently when it had those 3.07s with 25" tall tires (235/60/14)

The stock size tires are probably best for mileage. If I thought other tire sizes would improve mileage, I would have already tried it.

Stock Tires for sure.

what are the stock size? im pretty sure the previous owner put smaller size tires on mine...

everything is completely stock and i was averaging 17-22 mpg highway/city combined...

i switched to 32x11.50's and went to 10-12mpg combined....which sucked with the current gas prices...

i would like the biggest tires i could have without a total loss of affordable gas mileage.

Zero Cylinder said:
i would like the biggest tires i could have without a total loss of affordable gas mileage.

it doesn't work that way......

wilson_nick said:
try what comes on the honda civic, they get good mileage...

Lol, As the suspension drags along the ground... :D

Stock's probably the way to go. Now, you can plus size your rims which means the tire diameter doesn't change, but the rims get bigger. It's lighter than stock and less weight might get you an extra MPG or two, but not much more than that.

In theory wouldnt the gas mileage go down with smaller tires? The smaller tires would be rotating faster causing the engine to need more rpms. You could go with smaller tires and a lower number rear end gear ratio and that might help to increase gas mileage. Or if you go with bigger tires you could go with a higher numbered rear end gear ratio to help bring the gas mileage back some what to stock. But you also need to figure in the weight of the bigger tire, the rolling resistance and such.

Usually the way it comes from the factory - is close to the best mileage you can get. Trust me, companies are trying to make their vehicles as mileage-affordable as possible. It's a huge selling point. 235/75/R15s is the stock size tire.

-Drew

I'd think smaller tires would be better in the city, and larger ones would be better on the highway. Sort of how the gearing in the axles work. Thats just how it rolling around in my little mind though.

I believe that it doesn't have to be the smallest tire, but a "skinny tire". You will have less rolling resistance. I think thats how it was explained to me before.

basically, it seems like with the X's, anything over 30" w/o regearing is where you start to compromise w/e mileage you get.

my moms winter snow tires are 215/70r15s..with stock 3:73 gears..an her city MPG jumps way up in the winter. so that would tell me that it makes a good bit of differance.

city in the summer on stock 235/70s is about 15mpg

in the winter she gets about 17mpg

now on my X im getting great milage with my 31s..im getting 15 in town an 20 or higher on the highway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

96limitedX said:
my moms winter snow tires are 215/70r15s..with stock 3:73 gears..an her city MPG jumps way up in the winter. so that would tell me that it makes a good bit of differance.
Or it could be that the air is more dense in winter, and has nothing to do with the tires at all.

Back