• Register Today It's free!

Best Sounding Exhaust?

98Greeny

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLS 4.0 OHV
Hey, im a bit of a newbie here. I did a search and had no luck finding anything on exhaust sound...

Im looking to get a new exhaust system for my 98 explorer XLS 4.0 OHV. Now I dont want something super loud and everyone can hear u coming. Im looking for something that sounds deep and throaty when u step on it... but not like a wet fart.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Searching for 'exhaust sound' should bring up a lot of results... here's some 4.0 OHV sound clips

From what I have heard on other trucks with V6's, a Flowmaster is pretty deep and loud all of the time. Maganflow is deep and fairly loud when you step on it, but when idling it is pretty quiet. Are you looking for a bolt-on or are you going to take your explorer to a shop???

Prolly take it into a shop to get it all installed.

im basically just wondering what my best bet will be... i could go with a flowmaster, magnaflow, etc or maybe a borla or gibson system... just want the best bang for the buck, and to be no too loud, but loud enough when u need to be :D

Flowmaster Super 40....

thats all I have to say.

Borla will be expensive because it is all stainless steel. If you want a good deal and more power go with flowmaster or magnaflow. On magnaflow.com you can hear what the mufflers sound like on different cars/trucks.

FLOWMASTER
FLOWMASTER
FLOWMASTER
k? :p
I have a 50 series and it has that deep V-8 rumble, I've heard magnaflows and they just don't give it that same sound. And Borlas....you can't even hear them.

Super 40.

thanks guys... i think flowmaster it is

Back