• Register Today It's free!

Best spring pack

oconnor

Reaction score
City, State
San Rafael Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 sport 4wd
Looking for opinions on spring packs with a 3 inch lift for a 97 sport?
I am thinking OME, but people have recomended Denver and a couple others. I really don't want to go try to find good 4 door spring pack and then add add a leafs and then shackles. Seems like it will end up costing almost the same and be a patched together mess. Much rather buy and install a new spring pack with a 3 or 4 inch lift built in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got mine re-bent for 3" lift about 6 months ago and had 2 AAL installed on each pack. Rides a little rough, but no sag, and about 3" lift still...I've heard about a rebend losing arch later, but haven't experienced it yet.

Dixon Brothers Racing recommends Deaver springs though if your looking to buy new...

OME, Dever, Eaton Detroit all make spring packs. Eaton Detroit will custom make a pack for you. Contact them directly for pricing. I've had email conversations with Mike Eaton (the owner), he's a stand-up guy.

i've got the OME leafs, there only @ 1.5" lift. ARB said they were the only ones offered for Explorers.

that's all the lift i wanted but it doesn't sound like it will work for you.

i ordered the OME nitro charger shocks too.

cant wait to get it all done, i've seen an XJ w/ there stuff, it was only a couple inches of lift or so and that thing worked awesome.

what would i need for a 96 4dr? i'm trying to get about 2 inches of lift, whether it's rearching my springs, and doing shackles, or just buying a new leaf pack. which is gonna be cheaper? how much are these 'lifted' spring packs?

Todd, if you check my F150 Leaf Spring Mod sticky (at the top of this Forum), you'll see what I was quoted by Eaton Detroit about a year ago. They're the cheapest I've encountered (with respect to custom leaf packs).

The least expensive way to lift your Ex is the shackle route. I have some hesitations about using shackles. Next up would be an AAL or double AAL. However this can make the truck ride pretty stiff. If you're in to it, the F150 springs will be cheaper than the AAL but involves more work, on your part. Unless done correctly, re-arching will eventually sag back to original settings (spring steel has a 'memory' unless the leaves are put thru the heat treating process again). Last, is having a lift leaf pack made for you. I know Eaton Detroit will do what ever you want them to do with respect to lift. I cannot speak for Dever or OME. I know OME are pricey. I guess it really depends on your budget.

i actually just got in contact with dent spring in cincinnati, and they are gonna add a leaf for me. they quoted me $265 for both sides, and said they would put my warrior shackles on there for me too. is this a good price?

Sounds pretty good. If you figure $60 for the shackles and $100 for the AAL, that leaves about $105 in labor (which is about 90 minutes +/-). Not bad.

I take it you don't have the time/tools/knowledge to do it yourself (not that it really matters)?

well, i think that they will custom make the new leaf pack, to make it sit higher, and they asked whether or not i wanted single or double leaf. the price of the shackles is not included in that $265 though, just the new leafs and install. i just figured that i would have them do it, since they are gonna have to make the new leafs anyway, and all the eaton/ome springs seemed to be more expensive anyway, without installation. any comments?

I've used National and Deaver & was really happy with both

As long as you're convinced that Dent Sprint knows what they're doing then I see no reason for you not to have them do the work.

Just remember, adding leaves to the pack will definately stiffen the ride. If you're planning to go off-road, you'll sacrifice flexibility. If Dent Spring is going to fabricate this pack (arching with heat treating), they should be able to build a pack with four leaves AND lift built in. This will raise the truck but still allow flex on the trail. If they're relying on the AAL (or double AAL) to provide lift, you may want to ask more questions or look elsewhere. The National, Dever, Eaton Detroit and OME packs provide lift by more arch not more leaves.

If the leaf pack provides the lift, there's no reason for shackles.

Alcan Spring in CO. will make leafs however you want them.

Lift, flex, droop etc...

you'll have to pay for 'em.

i think a lot of people on here have a misconception @ lift. if you just want the look than i guess go for whatever you like, but as far as being functional for us w/ IFS the front is the limiting factor. the back is going to do most the work on our rigs. so it balances out, yes you get more ground clearance the higher you go but your center of gravity which is already very high gets way out of control. so if you want your rig to work the best try to keep it low and get the best angles on the front and back especially the corners and spend your money on some really nice leafs that will work.

Back