• Register Today It's free!

Best starter for 2nd gen

ETHACK

Reaction score
City, State
nv
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 X SOHC 4x4
New here to EF and just got a 2001 4.0l SOHC AWD, and has timing issues, so am replacing motor, looking for some pro tips, and advice on odd ball stuff not normally listed. Am not an experienced mechanic in fact new to wrench turning so all advice is good advice at this point, Also what is the best brand of starter to use out there I had such a bear of a time reaching that top bolt that I want to replace it with one that I won't have to worry about for as long as possible, only reason I got it through the top was I had the A/C and power steering bracket off already, can NOT imagine getting it from underneath and KUDOS to any who have, seemed like everything was in the way front diff, driveline, torsion bar you name it it's there, crazy!!! Anyway TIA to all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to do that bolt by touch. I haven't had any issues with O'Reilly starters (can't say the same for their A/C compressors or steering boxes). Some people like the NAPA, but you could always pay top dollar and nab a Motorcraft off Rock Auto.

Most of the Motorcraft parts are top notch, of course you will pay for that, but if it is a stock item you can't beat it if you don't want to turn a wrench for the next few years.

Just rebuild it yourself. There's lots of parts on E-Bay (brush holder, solenoid, starter drive, bushings) that make it easy to do. Just remove the torque bracket bolt so that you can pull down on the torque bracket. This will give you enough room to remove the starter. There's also a video on youtube on how to rebuild the PMGR starter.

Edit: Here's the rebuild video.

I rebuilt mine like 5 years ago using rebuilderinabox.com

Just rebuild it yourself. There's lots of parts on E-Bay (brush holder, solenoid, starter drive, bushings) that make it easy to do. This will give you enough room to remove the starter. There's also a video on youtube on how to rebuild the PMGR starter.

Edit: Here's the rebuild video.

Thats really cool Thanks

You have to do that bolt by touch. I haven't had any issues with O'Reilly starters (can't say the same for their A/C compressors or steering boxes). Some people like the NAPA, but you could always pay top dollar and nab a Motorcraft off Rock Auto.

Most of the Motorcraft parts are top notch, of course you will pay for that, but if it is a stock item you can't beat it if you don't want to turn a wrench for the next few years.
Motorcraft or maybe AC Delco??

Both kits from rebuilderinabox and E-Bay are good quality parts with both around $35. Better than paying for some reman from China.

People here have had good success with local rebuilder s

DIY on the rebuild or Motorcraft.

I had a ***** of a time getting the starter bolts out of my V8. Corroded in place. Broke one off in the trans. Had to TIG weld a nut on it to extract, real PITA. Went with a Motorcraft

DIY on the rebuild or Motorcraft.

I had a ***** of a time getting the starter bolts out of my V8. Corroded in place. Broke one off in the trans. Had to TIG weld a nut on it to extract, real PITA. Went with a Motorcraft
TY I got V6 and leaning towards new NAPA, can't find new motorcraft, Napa highly recommended by several mechanics so???????? Expensive though. TY again.

TY I got V6 and leaning towards new NAPA, can't find new motorcraft, Napa highly recommended by several mechanics so???????? Expensive though. TY again.
Precisely why we rebuild our motorcraft units

Because remember if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy

Attachments

• 5c893402a7e6e.image.jpg
    5c893402a7e6e.image.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 53

Precisely why we rebuild our motorcraft units

Because remember if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy
Thats great and I struggle with both

Thats great and I struggle with both
Ended up going with new NAPA hopefully don't have to change for a long time, if so might have to take a grinder underneath and make a little room down there. Thanks for all you help guys!!

Back