• Register Today It's free!

Best System In '94 Explorer?

ericatx

Reaction score
City, State
Austin,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer
Ok so I've been looking around and asking everyone I know what the best system is for this year and model of a car because I don't have the money to be buying sub after sub and component after component to find the best combination in a 1994 ford explorer, if ne1 has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All we could give you is what our own budget and personal preference dictated.

Buy a NICE pair of door speakers, 3 way's, make sure they can handle alot, (cant think of wattages atm)

then make sure you get a good clean headunit, with the amp bypass kit, at least 52w x 4, and sub wise...all depends on you. Do you want like HOLY FU*K bass, or just like a good sounding environment?

Well I want both if at all possible, really loud, clear, I want to be able to make ppls cars shake when I blast by them

Well I want both if at all possible, really loud, clear, I want to be able to make ppls cars shake when I blast by them

On a budget? I hope your bass portion is well above a couple k...

Best for what? It's a very relative term.

If you want upgraded sound with bass on a budget, you can buy a nice $100 cd player head unit from Pioneer, get drop-in Pioneer 6x8's all around for $100-120 for two pairs, add a Pioneer sub amp for another $100, and a sub box with 2 12's for around $200.
So about $500 for good quality gear and a setup you can crank to the max and still hear the vocals and get ground pounding bass.

Alternatively, if you just want to vibrate other vehicles, you can get some cheap sub/box combo with an amp for a few hundred, hook it up to the factory system, and drive around with the bass vibrating all the loose sheet metal on your ride so the drivers of all those cars that your bass is shaking laugh at you. Bandpass boxes in particular are great for shaking everything if you just keep playing the same track on the bass CD that has it's resonant frequency. This setup is also fantastic for attracting the attention of the local authorities and contributing to your local economy by receiving numerous citations for noise ordinance violations.

If you want really high end stuff, get seperates and kick panel mounts for the front speakers or use the stock door location for the midrange and get sail panel mounts for the tweeters, get some matching components with an adapter for rear fill in the stock rear speaker location, add matching 12" subs in the rear in a custom made box with an amp rack to hold the amps for the mids/highs and subs. It'll end up over a grand at least, maybe 2 or 3, but it'll sound great, the people a few blocks away will think there's a mobile concert coming.

I have the loudest system in Monroe, and I always turn it down when I see a cop coming, (my radar det. beeps when theyre like 2 mi. away) but lately I forget, and ive driven past about 10 cops with my stuff loud enough that its hurting my ears..

I suggest CL, i have not put a DIME into my car system wise besides the wires, and tweeters. I traded for everything else (Got a giftcard for xmas, went towards HU)

old HU and smaller wiring, no monitor:

just for the record aznboi, you don't need to freak out like he hurt you personally. PMs are great if thats what happened.

ericatx- I have an $80 Pioneer headunit, and Pioneer four-way 6x8 all around that I got for $140 and a sub/amp combo from Dual for $200.

I could never turn it up all the way and it never sounded distorted. great sound quality!

I'm no expert, but I think if you want a good "kick" out of your subs as opposed to shaking and rattling, a good pair of 10" subs would work nice. generally speaking, the smaller cone allows the driver to move quicker which translates into a harder kick drum. great for a tight focused kick drum sound.

the 12-15" subs are great for rap where you want the bassline to dominate! the larger cones move more air, but not as fast.

I had to delete 7 posts due to a flame throwing match. I'm not going to spend a half an hour editing posts just to make them sound good. If this happens again in this thread, I'm going to delete the thread, and start banning. We are adults, and have a right to make a decision of how to spend our money. If somebody wants to pay $1,000 instead of $100, then it's their decision, and they shouldn't get called names on an open forum. If you feel the need to say your opinion, then take it to a PM or an email.

Rockin' Sound System

I have a Pioneer 200w head unit with 200w Pioneer 6x8's in all 4 doors. Pioneer 760w Mono amp hooked up to an Audiobahn 12" subwoofer (the most boom for your buck IMHO!) in a double-ported competition bandpass box. The 12" sub gives that nice low bass growl and shakes my entire truck. Surprisingly enough, the Audiobahn can handle punch too with no lag at all! Just an all-around sweet system. :)

Back